Chromium and cobalt detected in ICP test

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromium and cobalt detected in ICP test , how to remove those ? is it to use Detox ? i have been doing water changes

my sps are getting burnt in the tips

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was recommended by Triton on the icp test?

Both Triton Detox and Panta Rhei Panta Lith remove heavy metals, but they are non-selective. The safe, albeit slow, route would be to stick with water changes.

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We detected elements in your water that can be harmful for your tank.
More information about each element is listed below.

We recommend to carry out 6 x 15% water changes with TRITON PURE 2.0 salt, spread over 6 weeks.

Your Chromium levels are dangerously high.

Check for possible contamination source. To assist you in finding the source of error, we have listed the most common chromium sources (sorted in descending order of frequency):

1. Trace element overdose / contamination
2. Metals near or in the aquarium (as rusty clamps or screws)
3. Contaminated salts

Your Cobalt levels are dangerously high.

Check for possible contamination source. To help you in your search for the source of error, we have listed them the most common cobalt sources (sorted in descending order of frequency):

1. Trace element overdose / contamination
2. Metals near or in the aquarium (as rusty clamps or screws)
3. Contaminated salts

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Detox were a viable option then it would likely have been offered up. The 6 x 15% water changes are pretty standard (it's what Triton recommends for high Tin levels as well). TMP is fine - using Pure on any system of appreciable size is prohibitively expensive.

You can try the Panta Lith (it receives positive reviews and was effective in reducing Tin levels in my tank), otherwise stay the course with the water changes.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Tropic Marine Pro for the 6 x 15% water changes, or any other salt. The TRITON PURE 2.0 salt isn't available yet. After the water changes you should test again and make the appropriate corrections.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped a small nut in my tank, couldn't find it anywhere. Then my test result showed;
High levels of Antimony have been found in your system.

As Antimony can be very dangerous to you aquarium you should first try to find the contamination source. To assist you in finding the source of error, we have listed the most common sources of antimony (sorted in descending order of frequency):

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I want to mention from what I learned so far with this reef keeping method is the recommended water changes are a recommendation not necessarily a requirement. Sometimes the system will straighten itself out. Sometimes there is something in the water not affecting the corals or the fish.
The triton pure salt cost me an arm and a leg to buy for a 6 x 15% water change on a 146 gallon system. Maybe a home made salt would be the way to go.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using d d salt is that ok ???

What a great opportunity to convert to TMP (Tropic Marin Pro)!

TMP is the closest to the natural sea water levels Triton recommends.

I have literally been using TM/TMP since 1990. I would try other brands and drift back to TM, so when Triton recommended TMP, I was done.

Currently on my 3rd rep of 6 x 15% water changes in a 220 gallon system to reduce Tin. To do that with Triton Pure would have cost ~$2,200 +shipping vs ~$250 +shipping for TMP. Not that I'm into stepping over a dollar to save a dime, but that decision was pretty easy.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panta Lith binds heavy metals and contaminants , based on zeolites. You can use it for water changes and between water changes. Unique Corals carries it.

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found where is the rust due to the tunze magnet . After removing it , do I need to do water change ???
IMG_3686.JPG

5e22db11967d41095a4699ef9cbd66b0.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, do the water changes. The contaminant is still in the water. I did thecwater changes along with using Pantha Lith when tin was detected. I also stopped dosing the coral foods in little bottles, you don't know what they contain. Water changes will also perk up your tank.

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I plan to add frags to the tank , would you do that water change first or after a few days after adding ???

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I'd do the water changes and hold off on adding frags. Water changes could only improve your tank.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I would proceed with the six water changes, hold off on adding frags. Don't rush you may not like the outcome. The water changes would dilute the contamination.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back