Chuck's 150 gal reef revival.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you've all heard/read about the crash of my 5 y.o. reef tank from a tripped GFCI and resultant stagnation of several days. Tank has been stable now for a month. So, time to rebuild!!

Tank as of today:
attachment.php

Survivors of the previously toxic tank, current residents of the revival:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AJ460

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mandarin so early that's kinda risky isn't it

OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is actually almost 5 years old now, AJ. Just reviving it from a recent mishap. Those rocks and the coral on the previous page are anywhere from 4-5 years old, and the growth of everything is rebounding fast. There are literally thousands of visible amphipods and likely millions of invisible copepods. This set-up supported 2 mandarins and a 6 line wrasse for years. With how quickly the tank is rebounding, I am hoping to get back to that soon.

AJ460

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading about the crash on Facebook. That's great that there's that much life in the tank I would have thought u would have lost all the amphipods and what not in the crash

OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a solitary chromis in the QT for 4 weeks now. Both to treat for Ich just in case and also to make sure the QT is fully cycled and ready. Chromis is now in the main tank.

The QT is ready for next fish! Planning on an Achilles tang, a purple tang, a naso and a tennenti. This same main tank before the crash handled 4 large tangs for 4 years. Now, if only I can get the boss (the wife) to agree to the plan, I'm ready to rock!!

Last edited:

jen2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on an upgrade fairly quickly with the Achilles ;-) Ours didn't stay happy long in our 6' long when we got him. 4 years later he's in a 8' long and he's 8" long...he really could use an even bigger tank.

OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. An outbreak of Ich in a 110 was a good excuse to upgrade to a 150. So maybe this will be the next excuse. Thanks, Jen.

OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two expensive fish I was waiting for, an Achilles tang and a Purple tang, went on sale. Big time. Like half off. For each. And only on those two. Coincidence? Fate? Who knows! Anyway, I pulled the trigger and bought both.

They arrived yesterday. Temp acclimated the bags to the QT, checked the bag salinity (1.018), adjusted the QT water to the same salinity, then placed them into the 30 gallon QT.

More than 24 hours later, they are swimming together like buddies. And, they are eating!! The AT likes flakes that float around better, the PT likes pellets that are at the bottom better. They both like nori. Both very healthy, I hope to keep them that way. They will undergo PP treatment, followed by hyposalinity. It will be at least 6 weeks before they can go into the main tank.

Here they are in QT. Sorry for the photo quality, they bunch together and swim fast.

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT at 1.009 salinity, fish doing well. A little agitated by my cellphone taking the video

[video=youtube;0X3xurxD8Rg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3xurxD8Rg[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week. The fish look so healthy I'm considering aborting the hyposalinity treatment. They swim calmly, no twitching nor rubbing, eating pretty much anything I put in the tank, not sign of disease at all. It will take me another week to get the salinity up to 1.026. That should be enough time to continue the observation for signs of disease.

OP
OP
Palting

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A consequence of the tank crash was an algal bloom. I've cleaned off most of it, left some for the tangs. Here they are going to work. I expect that rock will be clear of algae in a day or so:

[video=youtube;GqIaQeygw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GqIa1Qeygw[/video]

Last edited:
Back