ChukeeR's 266G Reef Savvy + Synergy Reef Build / Upgrade

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been all of 7 months since my girlfriend and I got into this hobby, but over Christmas we agreed we both wanted to upgrade from our Marineland 90G & Nuvo 38... and about a month later after doing plenty of research, our build is now set in motion.

Here's the plan at this point...

Tank: Reef Savvy - 72L x 30W x 28.5H with 24" Ghost Overflow. 3/4" glass with low iron front and sides. I originally wanted to do a 30" height, but after talking with Felix at Reef Savvy for a while, he said he could do 28.5" with Euro-bracing and eliminate the need for cross bracing which would give the tank a much cleaner look.

Stand: Reef Savvy Modern Stand. I've never done furniture building and the girlfriend and I really liked the simplistic / modern look of their stands. Stand height is 34" which will be nice in comparison to my 28" tall Perfecto Stand.

Sump: Synergy Reef - 48L x 20W x 16H. Sump will be nearly identical to the one pictured HERE, with some modifications to the filter sock chamber. Sump will have built-in probe holders and effluent line holders. Will also be nice to have a refugium to grow macro to reduce nitrates and feed the tangs. Place for pods reside will also be nice.

Lights: EcoTech Radion XR30w Pros. Already have 2 of these, so we'll just be adding more.

Controller:
Apex Neptune. Already have this controller with Lab Grade PH Probe and WXM module. Will need to pick up Salinty Probes as well as leak detection modules. I'm tempted to start using EcoTech Reeflink for the lights and pumps though.

Skimmer:
Vertex Alpha 300.

In-Tank Circulation: EcoTech MP60's? Already have 2 MP40's which will definitely be used in the new tank.

Heaters: TBD

Dosing: BRS 1.1 ML / Minute 2 Part Doser. Currently I'm doing this with Kalk through ATO, but I want to switch to dosing pumps combined with the Apex Controller for better control of water parameters. I plan to dose Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.

Return Pump: TBD, but I'm thinking a SpeedWave DC Pump.

Felix told me the turnaround would be about 4-months on the tank and stand. Rick has told me about 4-6 weeks for the Sump. I plan to track my progress with this thread and this project comes to fruition.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool and looking forward to this build!

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool and looking forward to this build!

Thanks! I'll be posting pictures along the way once I have pictures to add. I got my sump blueprints from Rick @ Synergy Reef today, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them. The design looked exactly as I pictured it would look during my discussion with Rick on the phone.

Thus far working with Synergy Reef has been great! They're very responsive to e-mails and Rick called me at 7PM last Monday night just to go over the details of my sump design.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chuckee,
What a great list. I just got my system up over the holidays. I purchased a 60x30x24 Reef Savvy euro-braced like your design, and did a custom sump with Rick at Synergy. Both have incredible knowledge in their art, and the systems compliment each other so well. The hardest part is the wait. Really looking forward to see your build come together

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Got permission to post sump blueprint. Here is the design Rick came up with for my sump. Can't wait!!
Update 2: Made one minor change from what is pictured...the divider between the filter sock chamber and refugium is no longer perforated all the way across. I didn't want water to bypass the filter socks.

sump.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet sump!

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Originally I was supposed to be getting the tank and sump sometime in May / June...BUT since my last update, I've finalized plans to have a house built (which should be completed by the end of August). I asked for Felix to delay my build so that I could just have the tank delivered to my new home. Much easier than having it delivered to my current home, then having to deal with moving it again.

With that being said the only update I have is that we've worked with our builder to include into our home plans a room with trusses which will hold the weight of our tank. At least I know 'it shouldn't' fall through the floor, haha.

Otherwise, there may not be a whole lot of updates to this thread until early fall, but I will keep this thread updated!

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is being delivered this week!

Also ordered a Bubble King Supermarin 250 from Jeremy @ Premium Aquatics. Hope to see that in the coming weeks (once they're back in stock).

10275462_881164961897709_4912675726639079041_o.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Following!

1stopcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is being delivered this week!

Also ordered a Bubble King Supermarin 250 from Jeremy @ Premium Aquatics. Hope to see that in the coming weeks (once they're back in stock).

I'm not sure if Jeremy can get your skimmer that fast Charlie. I've ordered my BK 500 Internal since OCT,2013 and still haven't got it yet :(.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if Jeremy can get your skimmer that fast Charlie. I've ordered my BK 500 Internal since OCT,2013 and still haven't got it yet :(.

Doh - I checked with them today and they replied that the BK 250 Supermarin was in customs and they expected to have them within the next week or so...I sure hope I don't have a 7+ month wait on the skimmer.

1stopcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... That's really weird. I'll check with Jeremy again why mine still haven't arrive. I paid for it 3mos + ago and still don't have ETA.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... That's really weird. I'll check with Jeremy again why mine still haven't arrive. I paid for it 3mos + ago and still don't have ETA.

Let me know what you hear...I'm curious to know the deal.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a gorgeous sump! I would add a black light under the sump for added cosmetics during "Show and Tell"... Make that bad boy GLOW! B-)

Thanks!! The picture really doesn't even do justice. This thing is solid too!! Rick definitely uses some quality materials when building his sumps.

I need to take more pictures of the sump, but it's still in the crate. Didn't want to pull it out of the crate since I should be moving into my new house by August / September.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My BK Skimmer shipped today! I would check with Jeremy if you still dont have an ETA...Otherwise maybe it's difference with the BK500, since they're huge?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back