OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what is happening, but more and more frequently I'm finding that my Tunze ATO is not keeping my tank topped off. A couple times a week I'm having to top off 2-4 gallons of RODI water myself as the water level has dropped and the ATO sensor doesn't seem to be recognizing that. I'm guessing the optical sensor is going bad? I've cleaned the sensor and soaked it in RODI / Vinegar water a couple times and still having problems. I'm to the point where I have to check the return pump chamber of my sump every morning and night to make sure its maintaining the desired water level.

I think it might be time to move on and try something new. The Tunze ATO has worked decently for me over the last 4 years, but I've had to replace the pump 3 times and now this most recent behavior that I've noticed. I'm thinking I might try a @Puratek Auto Level Controller instead of continuing to dork around with the Tunze ATO. I really like the option of having up to 3 water level sensors sitting on the outside of the sump.

Also forgot to mention that nearly all the bacteria slime is gone from the display. I've pulled one of the pipes out of the bulkhead in the overflow box and let all the nasty stuff that had settled back there drain into my filter socks as well. My nitrates seem to have stabilized around 2.5ppm, so everything seems to be going well!

Last edited:

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear about the odd behavior. you should check out the avast-marine ATO (http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/ato-kit) which in unique in that it uses a pressure switch. very reliable, simple, and easy to set up with their peristaltic pump or provide your own. also has nice and beefy magnets for mounting.

thanks for the updates, keep them coming!

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some pictures and a new full tank shot...5 months old.
DSC_0946.JPG

DSC_0951.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0954.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your tank backup? That doesn't sound good...What happened?!
Something happened, everything was normal one day then the next all fish were dead. Parameters were fine. So I tore it down, I was moving 3 weeks later anyways so it was a little convenient I could tear it down and deep clean but I was mad they all died. One kinda good note was that I found my bicolor blenny in the sump just chillin, it had been down there at least 2 weeks lol. I looked in there several times when it first went missing and never saw it. Its been cillin in a 5g bucket with some rocks and a bubbler since the tear down.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that sucks! Sorry to hear that. Can't wait to see it come back to life!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with my tunze ato, it would either overfill triggering the float valve or it would fill at all. I replaced the optical sensor and it was back to normal.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...If its not one thing it's another. The Kessil A360WE that I have over the 65G in my sump room decided to stop working and I've had it longer than 2 years, so no warranty. I've tried to plug it into a different outlet, so I know it wasn't the outlet for my Apex EB8.

Do I spend the money and hope that the power adapter was went bad? Or do I just cut my losses and be frustrated that a $400 light only lasts a little bit beyond its warranty timeframe?

I called and spoke with a lady at Kessil and she told me to leave it unplugged for 20-30 minutes 'because sometimes that helps to reset them'??? Anyway it didn't make a difference. The fan doesn't even spin, so I'm sure its either the power brick or something within the light itself.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...If its not one thing it's another. The Kessil A360WE that I have over the 65G in my sump room decided to stop working and I've had it longer than 2 years, so no warranty. I've tried to plug it into a different outlet, so I know it wasn't the outlet for my Apex EB8.

Do I spend the money and hope that the power adapter was went bad? Or do I just cut my losses and be frustrated that a $400 light only lasts a little bit beyond its warranty timeframe?

I called and spoke with a lady at Kessil and she told me to leave it unplugged for 20-30 minutes 'because sometimes that helps to reset them'??? Anyway it didn't make a difference. The fan doesn't even spin, so I'm sure its either the power brick or something within the light itself.

Same thing happened to a a350 I had. Just stopped working shortly after the warranty expired. Kessil did offer me a new a360 at a discounted price but decided against it.

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke out the multi-meter and I'm fairly certain its the power adapter that went bad. Guess I'll try that and see if it works..If not I'll probably try a different light over my 65G.

Luckily my Radions are going strong...Would be just my luck for those to start having issues after I started adding SPS to my tank.

BoB_25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started going through this thread...you have one sweet Dudley Lab! Not to many people care for them....but they are my favorite!

OP
OP
HiddenUser

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrades! :) Switching out old MP40s for MP60QD pumps...and adding a 4th light. I ordered a new power adapter for the Kessil that sits over the 65G in the sump room, so hopefully that will take care of that too!

One thing I will say...HOLY CRAP these things are quiet! Use to be able to hear the whine of the MP40s all the time...Can't even hear these MP60QDs running at all.

Also got a Puratek Auto Level Controller, a couple of BRS 1.1ML dosing pumps, another EB8 and some other miscellaneous stuff.

image1(8).JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back