Chunk taken out of Copperband Butterfly!

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen anything like this? My new copperband butterfly seems to have a piece of flesh hanging off of him. It almost looks like a piece of mysis, but it’s definitely flesh.

I’m thinking he got bit by my bristletooth tang. It’s been showing a small amount of aggression, but it didn’t seem bad at all until I saw this. Just some light chasing.

Assuming the aggression dies down, does anyone think this is something he can heal up from?

Thanks

490F9642-0B3D-4296-94A3-F7F41970815C.jpeg

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it like loose flesh or growth? Like possible lympho. Either way, I’d just watch him and keep him healthy and fed and I think you’ll be fine.

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had fins bitten off fish that grew back. This doesn't look like flesh though; the body looks "whole"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As they startle easily, could be an injury also
One great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal and quickly on their own.
If you want to assure healing, Melafix will aid the healing. Keep an eye on it to assure its not developing fungus or bacteria

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen anything like this? My new copperband butterfly seems to have a piece of flesh hanging off of him. It almost looks like a piece of mysis, but it’s definitely flesh.

I’m thinking he got bit by my bristletooth tang. It’s been showing a small amount of aggression, but it didn’t seem bad at all until I saw this. Just some light chasing.

Assuming the aggression dies down, does anyone think this is something he can heal up from?

Thanks

490F9642-0B3D-4296-94A3-F7F41970815C.jpeg
It does look like an injury. It is hit or miss if it becomes infected. Do you have a treatment tank if it does? Is the fish eating well for you, it looks a bit skinny. Live clams or mussels on the half shell sometimes work well for this psecies.

jay

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, all. It’s a brand new fish to me, thus why it’s a bit skinny.

The tissue seems to have come off today, and there’s only a slight appearance of injury on the spot where it was. I’m hopeful that he’ll pull through.

Now I’m just trying to figure out if I can keep my bristletooth tang. He chases the CBB every time he sees him. It’s not very aggressive chasing, but it’s enough that I’m worried.

I’m gonna try the mirror trick today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, all. It’s a brand new fish to me, thus why it’s a bit skinny.

The tissue seems to have come off today, and there’s only a slight appearance of injury on the spot where it was. I’m hopeful that he’ll pull through.

Now I’m just trying to figure out if I can keep my bristletooth tang. He chases the CBB every time he sees him. It’s not very aggressive chasing, but it’s enough that I’m worried.

I’m gonna try the mirror trick today.
Or drop a tank divider in if the mirror doesn’t work. The CBB is going to need some peace and quiet to get bulked back up.
Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back