OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past Saturday (2/26/22) I added a clean up crew and two new corals.

CUC:
5 Margarita Snails
10 Red/Blue Leg Hermits
2 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Snails (LG)

Coral:
1 Hammer
1 Frogspawn

I have found one dead hermit and removed from the system. Haven’t found any other … but I rarely see any of the 22 members of my CUC haha. The turbos are easy to spot but the rest I never really see during the day.

Secondly, I believe my original Orange Storm clown died from fluke in the gills.

The orange storm that made it was showing some symptoms of fluke (opaqueness on his body). But it was very active and always eating when I fed. So it was relatively healthy.

On 3/1/22:
I bought some Prazipro and did a freshwater dip with my orange storm clown in 2 gal of water with about 0.5ml of prazipro for 5 min. (At 78F and had an air stone running for 30 min prior to putting the clown in)

After the dip I turned off the airstone and found fluke flakes so I dosed my entire system.

When I returned the clown to the system after FW dip it was very inactive and showed lots of opaqueness. About an hour I fed the tank but the clown didn’t eat. About 2 hours later he was swimming around and slowly becoming more active. By dinner time he was almost back to swimming around like normal. He ate dinner. Next day he was back to normal in terms of activity.

I measured the system from the sand bed to the top of the water level to get a rough volume of my system, then subtracted an estimated volume for the displacement from the rock work.

Then added that volume to the volume of my sump minus the volume of the reservoir (based on the height of the water in the sump).

Dosed prazipro based on that volume - the same day that I FW dipped the clown. (60 gal estimation = 3 teaspoons prazipro).

I moved my power heads closer to the surface and aimed them up as much as the Nero 5’s allow. Also I put the airstone in the sump, for added oxygenation. Not sure how effective that is, but can’t hurt right? Not noticing any salt creep yet.

I plan to do a 25% water change on 3/8/22, followed by a 2nd dose of prazipro. Then perhaps another 25% water change a week after the 2nd dose? Not sure if the second water change is necessary.

The corals seem unaffected by the prazipro I dosed into my display tank. Same with the inverts.

Just a little update! :)

If you didn’t watch my update video - I now have
1 orange storm clownfish
1 mocha storm clownfish
1 Melanurus wrasse
1 chalk basse
22 members of my CUC
2 zoas
1 Hammer
1 frogspawn

Cheers!

OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in!

The tank is going well- nothing new (I’m saving up for a skimmer lol).

So the prazipro… it definitely worked and got rid of the fluke. The wrasse had it too I just didn’t notice. It’s completely gone on the wrasse now but I’m still not sure about the orange storm clown.

I did 1 dose, waited 7 days, 25% water change, 2nd dose, waited 7 days, then 25% water change.

That second 25% water change was today.

The orange storm which I initially started dosing the prazipro for is still showing opaque/white blotchiness.

It swims about normally and has quite the appetite. Not seeing any stringy white poo… so idk if it’s just the natural color complexion or if it’s something else.

I am currently in the process of disinfection some HOB filters from my early freshwater tanks with the idea of setting up a qt tank for the clown… but if the clown in behaving normal (or normal to me) then idk what I can do to treat it.

Perhaps just isolate and observe, dose with some copper? I’m not entirely sure. I’ve called the LFS and bulkreefsupply customer service for advice but forget what all ‘medications’ they advised.

So for now… no major updates. I did change the rock scape a bit, and I’m not entirely satisfied with it. I’ll probably end up changing it around a few times before I’m happy lol but here’s what it looks like now!

Oh - also! I’m in the design stages of a custom lid from TopLids. Been working with Tyler, he is the man. Can’t wait to replace the egg crate top I’ve currently got on there lol.

Pics:
12BF3918-0264-454D-8E02-FAB42EC6B18B.jpeg
01C3097F-351F-4310-B866-44687A0BE154.jpeg
B48D621E-1F81-446F-B2B8-00CFDCCBC5C8.jpeg

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig the new scape!

Glad to hear your fish are doing much better too! I'm definitely not the one to ask about QT, but there are several people here who could definitely help you out.

Tracdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great build! Is been about a year, how’s the tank doing?

I’m about to order this tank as well or the 110.4. Any advice?

What are your thoughts so far?

How’s the noise level?

I’ve been in the nano and pico realm for a long time and am always worried about water changes on that large of a tank. How often are you doing water changes and how much water are you doing at a time?

Thank you for the awesome build thread.

Back