Cindy's Biocube 32 LED...what skimmer is everyone using?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my Biocube32...it is almost finished cycling. It will be home to a valentini puffer (already here, living in another tank), then I'd like to add a hawkfish and maybe a dottyback. Corals will be mainly softies, maybe one or two LPS if I just can't resist. My understanding of these lights is that they won't support much else.

This is meant to be a low(ish) budget (I know, contradiction in terms right), low maintainence setup. I don't want to customize anything and I don't plan to do any dosing.

Has anyone found a skimmer that works with the lid closed (other than the one coralife makes)? I thought the one by Aquatic Life was supposed to but I can't figure out how to keep the air intake above water level. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks!

This is my daughter's boyfriend, I can't figure out why he is sideways :(

View attachment 20170805_201805.jpg

20170805_201818.jpg

20170806_072809.jpg

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Tunze DOC 9001 Skimmer in my Biocube29. Not sure if it will work in the Biocube32. Check with the guys at inTank.

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef glass skimmer that does fantastic on my nano. It's simple and easy to clean and use. And it's small enough to fit in any chamber of any AIO system I have seen. They have them at marine depot now. I'm not sure what size tank they're rated for. Mines on a 10g

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Tunze DOC 9001 Skimmer in my Biocube29. Not sure if it will work in the Biocube32. Check with the guys at inTank.

I have a reef glass skimmer that does fantastic on my nano. It's simple and easy to clean and use. And it's small enough to fit in any chamber of any AIO system I have seen. They have them at marine depot now. I'm not sure what size tank they're rated for. Mines on a 10g

Thank you both. I looked at inTank-great call, I found a link that explained how to use the Aquatic Life 115 without cutting a hole in the lid. Since I already have it I'll give it a go...although the Tunze got much better reviews. If the AL115 doesn't work well, the Tunze will probably be my next option since I've liked other Tunze products I've purchased.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot told me that the Biocube 32's top must be cut out to accommodate the Reef Glass skimmer; I'm about to try the Aquatilife 115 using magnets to attach it in the first chamber. I'm also going to extend the air intake tube to quiet the skimmer and, hopefully, not have the problem CindyKz mentioned.

Wish me luck, lol; seems like most of us haven't yet found our "dream" skimmer for the Biocube 32.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot told me that the Biocube 32's top must be cut out to accommodate the Reef Glass skimmer; I'm about to try the Aquatilife 115 using magnets to attach it in the first chamber. I'm also going to extend the air intake tube to quiet the skimmer and, hopefully, not have the problem CindyKz mentioned.

Wish me luck, lol; seems like most of us haven't yet found our "dream" skimmer for the Biocube 32.

Mine didn't come with magnets. I tried the suction cups (included) for about an hour before I gave up - they were a FAIL. I am going to build a stand as shown here (shameless steal from the InTank site) https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...5-skimmer-stand/?tab=comments#comment-5284358. Using the light diffuser material looks pretty easy - 10 minute job. Another option would be to DIY the in tank stand the way @dirtyd61 did (see his thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dirtys-biocube-32-build.318980/

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't come with magnets. I tried the suction cups (included) for about an hour before I gave up - they were a FAIL. I am going to build a stand as shown here (shameless steal from the InTank site) https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...5-skimmer-stand/?tab=comments#comment-5284358. Using the light diffuser material looks pretty easy - 10 minute job. Another option would be to DIY the in tank stand the way @dirtyd61 did (see his thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dirtys-biocube-32-build.318980/
Yeah, I had to buy magnets separately; have also been experimenting with using a piece of 2" pvc drilled with lots of holes as an alternative to egg crate - haven't tried either long term so not sure I can get water level right but Intank says 115 will fit/work in first chamber so I'll give it a try.

BTW, I think the Acquatic Life 115 is the same as the Fluval Ps 2 with a different skimmer cup and I've had pretty good luck with the Fluvals; hope it continues.

Good luck, hard to get a cheap skimmer tuned sometimes.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to work without cutting the lid. Honestly you don't even need a skimmer on these tanks if you don't over stock the tank, feed appropriately, and are diligent with WC's and filter floss. Just my opinion but mine is successful without one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back