Cipro as a dip (not tank treatment)

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all - I’m coming off a nasty bacteria infection that killed all my tenius. I did a cipro treatment and the tank bounced back. I’m building my collection back up but I’m really paranoid about adding tenius back to the tank. I wanted to ask - has anyone done a cipro dip for sps? I’ve seen threads for lps but not much for sps. If so, how did you do it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey y’all - I’m coming off a nasty bacteria infection that killed all my tenius. I did a cipro treatment and the tank bounced back. I’m building my collection back up but I’m really paranoid about adding tenius back to the tank. I wanted to ask - has anyone done a cipro dip for sps? I’ve seen threads for lps but not much for sps. If so, how did you do it?
I personally would use
Coral RX
Revive
Seachem DIP
Brightwell

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have for frags losing tissue post shipping and it has been successful. Arcobacter has been implicated recently as a likely causative organism and is sensitive to ciprofloxacin (and possibly doxycycline depending on strain). I would recommend a 30-90 minute isothermal bath.

Using cipro as a preventative dip is uncharted waters. I would consider that for wild and maricultured colonies with a high risk of RTN. Not sure I would do that for aquacultured corals.

https://humble.fish/community/index...and-corals-disease-and-treatment.10881/page-2

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would refer to this article for something like this https://kungfucorals.com/blogs/news/the-kfc-dip-a-game-changer-in-keeping-healthy-euphyllia . They outline how to to the cipro dip. I have done it multiple times with excellent results. I would assume that a dip for SPS would be very similar if not the exact same as it is with LPS.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a human doctor I can only state that antibiotic dips can potentially lead to bacterial resistance as not enough antibiotic gets absorbed.
I think it would be preferable to use disinfectant dip, like iodine solution Or similar.
For antibiotics to take proper effect, they have to stay in tissues for few days, not just few minutes.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a human doctor I can only state that antibiotic dips can potentially lead to bacterial resistance as not enough antibiotic gets absorbed.
I think it would be preferable to use disinfectant dip, like iodine solution Or similar.
For antibiotics to take proper effect, they have to stay in tissues for few days, not just few minutes.
The KFC dip must be done for at least two hours, but preferably longer. The purpose of the in tank cipro treatment is not to necessarily help the coral tissue, but to kill off the bacteria that causes brown jelly disease, arcobacter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back