Cipro Questions

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I recently bought a coral that developed brown jelly within a week of being in the tank. I tossed the coral to hopefully prevent spreading. While that coral is gone and it hasn’t spread anywhere *yet*, I have been reading a lot about the use of ciprofloxacin dips and in tank treatments so i have some questions :
1) Should I do an in tank cipro treatment if all of my other LPS are healthy at the moment?
2) Should I cipro dip incoming corals in the future/would it help?
Thank you!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should never use cipro in reefing for anything, ever. Don’t have it in your house or score it without a doctors prescription for use on a charted course for a human. There isn’t one instance you should use it in a customized or guessed manner just because it’s available online with no scrip

even if it randomly healed anemones we can find in some posts

reefers and anyone else tinkering with it are reducing its effectiveness one by one, cumulatively amounting to consequences we aren’t even considering…it’s not for us to own, ever.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I recently bought a coral that developed brown jelly within a week of being in the tank. I tossed the coral to hopefully prevent spreading. While that coral is gone and it hasn’t spread anywhere *yet*, I have been reading a lot about the use of ciprofloxacin dips and in tank treatments so i have some questions :
1) Should I do an in tank cipro treatment if all of my other LPS are healthy at the moment?
2) Should I cipro dip incoming corals in the future/would it help?
Thank you!!
KFC dip. King fu corals check out their site they have a whole dip process that appears to help

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s watch reefers not care as they create in tandem uncontrollable mrsa skin infections resistant to treatments

all we need is a bunch of 2-5 day overload courses of one of our frontline medical antibiotics being used to make goldfish seem happier…

when someones arm falls off, we were warned.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People pop steroids and antibiotics like tic tacs. ( I am 100% in agreance of never taking them unless it’s absolutely necessary) but Do we really think that an infrequent use by a small group will really effect it / harm people?

not trying to pick a fight just expanding on your thoughts @brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair question for sure

I claim it's not infrequent and that potentially thousands of reefers are doing it per the threads, some not reporting its use just keeping it in the cabinet anytime wanted. No doses standardized, no complete kill of a target organism matched to the med, no course time standardized for bacteria planned

Do physicians recommend light use of amox leftover from legitimate strep throat for sniffles, a head cold, a cough etc?

All the ones I read about were patently against it. Heck due to supply chain nowadays...

I say if we can find doctors who are -not reefers- recommending this, go ahead.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230129-072400_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230129-072454_Chrome.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many links at all came up for aquarium use, is that a green light by omission

How consequential is indiscriminate use within humans, going off the links

Don't own it don't score it just because we can and don't just use it willy nilly is the hint I get. Aquariums actively exchange bacteria with their surroundings, with children in the home, and antibiotic use alters that exchange slowly over time. We spread tank bacteria via aerosol transfer onto the walls and ceiling above a big reef tank, on the floors, we stick our arms in, we get its water in our mouth at every siphon

Cipro modifies tank bacteria in ways none of us care to know as long as the anemone puffs up really nicely

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should never use cipro in reefing for anything, ever. Don’t have it in your house or score it without a doctors prescription for use on a charted course for a human. There isn’t one instance you should use it in a customized or guessed manner just because it’s available online with no scrip

even if it randomly healed anemones we can find in some posts

reefers and anyone else tinkering with it are reducing its effectiveness one by one, cumulatively amounting to consequences we aren’t even considering…it’s not for us to own, ever.
You may be overstating just a LITTLE - but in general I agree with you. There is a reason that Canada has outlawed antibiotics for over the counter sales. There is not (as far as I know) - and controlled trials using cipro for anything coral related (or anemone related). That said - one could say then same thing about neomycin, kanamycin, erythromycin, etc - that we use for fish. Though neomycin and kanamycin are not widely used in humans - they are used - and so are their relatives - the other aminoglycosides.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for seventeen years in one vessel and by keeping it clean, I don't have to nuke it with meds.

I control bacteria via export, not via addition.

there is no coral disease coming or going.

I run massive work threads years running where nobody needs antibiotics, because we do rip cleans, with 100% happy outcomes, that's called not taking the short effort road. we do orders and orders of big anemone tanks in our ongoing work threads.

this is one big shortcut to good husbandry

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they get good results with it for sure. My point is it's possible and ideal to reef without any antibiotics ever being used. It simply won't be required for any reef i work directly or indirectly, that option exists.

Simply applying cipro because something looks off is such a shortcut.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they get good results with it for sure. My point is it's possible and ideal to reef without any antibiotics ever being used. It simply won't be required for any reef i work directly or indirectly, that option exists.

I get your points and clearly understand your concerns. However regarding any kind of meds whether it be for humans, animals or aliens for that matter.
How do we know what will or won't work withoit trial and error. Sure you don't see cipro or any of the other meds of your concerns offered by doctors For the aquarium hobby. However that doesn't necessarily mean physicians are against it.
It's more so education on their part as I'm sure they didn't go to school to care for animals but for humans.
Perhaps there will be more research of the matter on a professional, scientific and controlled manner once someone provides the funding for doctors and physicians to look into these medications for aquarium use.

Maybe you can provide the funds for that purpose? lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing is for sure, only the aquarists play it down

I did a day's reading about experimental at-home antibiotic use, all studies were like that above: terrible idea. doctors and epidemiological studies never did play it down like our peers with the tanks do, I found nothing passive about it actually

I was looking for one single sole article on the entire internet studying it in a reef tank or any aquarium...found none. only forum posts. nobody I could see agrees its a good idea for us to have access like we do

might as well just use that leftover amoxicillin for allergies, runny noses, any ole ailment :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could at least find something to read, formally researched, about it's utility in reefing so we don't have to go off broscience

do u know any published stuff applicable to us

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bro why would i not use something that is more likely than anything else to cure BJD. There’s no point to doing this and you definitely don’t know if it’s bad. The famous cipro thread in here actually mentions that cipro treatment might actually strengthen the good bacteria in our tank.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhhheesh... so much fear in this thread. Why be in the hobby at all lol. There are many things outside of this hobby that anyone of us isn't taking the "proper measures". If living in so much fear. Just don't leave your house lol.
Yeah someone has to try stuff like this. When something is wrong with us , they pump us full of meds, vaccines, etc. I think there’s a possibility of cipro helping LPS develop a higher resistance to BJD.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like we will not get the requested read link then. I wasn't able to find one either and I spent all day looking online

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back