Cipro Questions

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its valid to point out abuse of anti-biotics.. I would consider dosing cipro in a tank with no bjd symptoms abuse.

City_Boy_Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it’s good for fish I’m sure it has its used for the reef. They make fish specific cipro. Relax a little and do what you see fit. Support other hobbyists

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I recently bought a coral that developed brown jelly within a week of being in the tank. I tossed the coral to hopefully prevent spreading. While that coral is gone and it hasn’t spread anywhere *yet*, I have been reading a lot about the use of ciprofloxacin dips and in tank treatments so i have some questions :
1) Should I do an in tank cipro treatment if all of my other LPS are healthy at the moment?
2) Should I cipro dip incoming corals in the future/would it help?
Thank you!!
I’ve saved thousands of dollars with the use of Cipro. It works very well and a lot of vendors are using it more and more when they get big shipments of Corals in. Before I do a Cipro treatment I dip the coral in 3% hydrogen peroxide I use 40 mm of hydrogen peroxide in about a half a gallon of tank water for 10 minutes before I put it in the Cipro dip and then another hydrogen peroxide dip after the Cipro treatment. If I could save a $1000 torch using Cipro I’m going to use it. Don’t listen to the anti-Cipro people. Save your Corals if you can.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KFC dip. King fu corals check out their site they have a whole dip process that appears to help
KFC dip is the best, and if you have any questions, you can always reach out to Danny from Kung Fu and he would be happy to walk you through the process

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing 22 years never used it, because I don’t need shortcuts to effort or thinking

thousands of jobs worked, tanks saved in threads here and nano reef .com and reefcentral private messages and posted work threads

rip clean thread is eight years old, 250+ jobs, not one crash not one brown jelly disease not one dead anemone. It’s a reef exercise thread is why

readers: it’s possible to never need it in reefing and anemone keeping, it’s merely a temporary shortcut many will seize, because they can.

generations of corals and anemones are being weakened by its constant use but it’ll take a while for the resistant diseases to show up. A concealed consequence is coming: planning and skill works, not taking shortcuts produces better animals for the hobby

all the corals and anemones we trade in are from asexual reproduction which confers zero natural selection adaptation into the F100+ generations we buy and trade

every use of cipro makes the organisms weaker to species that capitalize on them, the bacteria and other competitions are still naturally selecting for cipro resistance with each new generation of malady

a tipping point arrives one day, total losses for reefers who never adapted to reef without it

do we take cipro for every undiagnosed headache, sniffle nose, temperature of 100 degrees for humans? Take it free will, ad libitum? Or do we exercise, eat right, fight diseases from within by strength, allow the body to fight its own insults while taking a little longer sometimes but gaining that T cell memory

real doctors, not web pill mills and friends, save its use for specific risk events where targets have been isolated and carefully matched to cipro

why does human medicine work so carefully with it, why doesn’t wal greens pharmacy just dole it out to any nineteen year old upon request? Thinkers questions…

it was possible to reef with thousands of dollars in corals and not use cipro, my friends do this all day long for decades.

my toe feels weird, I think I’ll go see what partial course of amoxicillin we have left and guess at a few swigs to see what happens, will report back.

if a given coral or anemone malady was best handled by antibiotics vs effort or tank design changes by the reefer, cipro guessing might not be the best match for complete target kill, to allow no invasion cells to live on and develop immunity in future generations via the incomplete kill.

if there was a reef lab actually matching mailed in target samples to the spectrum of antibiotics available in veterinary use and assigning completed courses, consulted only after 6 months of reef exercise, prescribing matched antibiotics to the target, that would count as effort and run contrary to any cipro thread made in a reef forum

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that’s a reef exercise thread, see how long it’s been running without one single bjd event? We caused that by action not by purchase

cipro tanks are reefs that sit on the couch binging stranger things on repeat, eating 250 bags of lays potato chips, of course they need short term antibiotics to stay alive. Two completely different modes of thinking can be tracked now, we have the threads to watch

Which method will keep anemones and corals alive better:

Keeping the system free of stored up waste with busy export, while feeding exceptional diverse reef feeds that are frozen or live or refrigerated

Or adding crushed up cipro pills. We're on page fifty of results

Last edited:

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that’s a reef exercise thread, see how long it’s been running without one single bjd event? We caused that by action not by purchase

cipro tanks are reefs that sit on the couch binging stranger things on repeat, eating 250 bags of lays potato chips, of course they need short term antibiotics to stay alive. Two completely different modes of thinking can be tracked now, we have the threads to watch

Which method will keep anemones and corals alive better:

Keeping the system free of stored up waste with busy export, while feeding exceptional diverse reef feeds that are frozen or live or refrigerated

Or adding crushed up cipro pills. We're on page fifty of results
Hi Brandon, do you have any pictures of your tanks? I would like to see your setups. Thanks!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My schnauzer is prone to staph. Ciprofloxacin is a hammer. Rare occasions though and only so that the staph doesn't develop immunity. You have to complete a full cycle and absolutely kill all of the infection for that reason. Anything that lives is likely to develop immunity.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wisnia99 a fresh update
*this bowl will never see cipro that's a promise. It'll never need to

By keeping it ripped clean, low on organics and waste, bad bacteria can't take over. Sedentary, left in place for years reefs need cipro

Active ones don't, that's my hidden claim.
This design has no biological life span limit it can live a hundred years is the bet but you'll have to verify with my grandchildren one day

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon, do you have any pictures of your tanks? I would like to see your setups. Thanks!
1689736773442.gif

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wisnia99 a fresh update
*this bowl will never see cipro that's a promise. It'll never need to

By keeping it ripped clean, low on organics and waste, bad bacteria can't take over. Sedentary, left in place for years reefs need cipro

Active ones don't, that's my hidden claim.
This design has no biological life span limit it can live a hundred years is the bet but you'll have to verify with my grandchildren one day

I won’t lie, this is a cool tank, have you done other videos on how you’ve produced these results ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back