Circulating Water Change Tub

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my saltwater from my LFS and they recommend circulating the water in the tub before adding it to my DT during a water change if it sits more than a day or two to account for any settling.

The capped opening is only about 2 inches in diameter. Does anyone know of a submersible pump that is small enough to fit in there or should I just go with an air pump tubing and airstone?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tub, too small a pump may not circulate very well unless you have it on the bottom with the outlet tubed up towards the top. That said Amazon has some pretty small pumps. Look at smaller aquarium and pond pumps. I have pond pump that does about 200 gah that would fit but don’t recall the brand.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water was initially mixed correctly you do not have a need to mix again.

I do mix before a W/C as I heat the water but if you are not heating it, not mixing will be fine, if in doubt, check the salinity before mixing, then again after and it should be the same.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my saltwater from my LFS and they recommend circulating the water in the tub before adding it to my DT during a water change if it sits more than a day or two to account for any settling.

The capped opening is only about 2 inches in diameter. Does anyone know of a submersible pump that is small enough to fit in there or should I just go with an air pump tubing and airstone?
Airstone

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something is going to settle out, you don't want it anyway. lol

Do you know what salt mix they used?
They use Red Sea. I've been buying their saltwater since the beginning (March 2021) and I have noticed the tub is getting a light brown crud accumulating in the bottom. Does this mean there is something amiss with the saltwater I'm buying?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use Red Sea. I've been buying their saltwater since the beginning (March 2021) and I have noticed the tub is getting a light brown crud accumulating in the bottom. Does this mean there is something amiss with the saltwater I'm buying?

no, Red Sea and other salts leave that brown crud in the mixing tub, no need to be missing it back in.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason to keep stirring Red Sea salt mix, and if it is Red Sea Coral pro, it is best to not mix or heat it as that induces precipitation from that high alk salt mix.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back