please give your opinion
thanks

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 x Gyre 250s for my 480 gallon tank 96"x48"x24". I only have SPS in 1/3 of the tank but two of these pumps along with the return all going down the long side of the tank flow towards the SPS section makes some really nice flow. I keep both pumps on 100% random. I had another 4100gph rossmont pump on the back wall going forward on the SPS section running as well when I needed extra flow. I have that pump off for right now but plan to add it back once I get more SPS back on that side the tank. If your entire tank is going to be SPS then I would add gyre pumps to both sides of the tank and keep them on 100% random flow to start. As needed add pumps to the back of the tank to push water back to front or front to back.

OP
OP
P

pedro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 x Gyre 250s for my 480 gallon tank 96"x48"x24". I only have SPS in 1/3 of the tank but two of these pumps along with the return all going down the long side of the tank flow towards the SPS section makes some really nice flow. I keep both pumps on 100% random. I had another 4100gph rossmont pump on the back wall going forward on the SPS section running as well when I needed extra flow. I have that pump off for right now but plan to add it back once I get more SPS back on that side the tank. If your entire tank is going to be SPS then I would add gyre pumps to both sides of the tank and keep them on 100% random flow to start. As needed add pumps to the back of the tank to push water back to front or front to back.
hello
thanks for your comment its possible you put a picture of your tank please?
regards

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton of great options for really huge tanks. I use a quartet of vortech MP60 on my 96" 450. They'd probably do OK on 118'. Not inexpensive though. You could also look at the panta rhei hydrowzard pumps …. though they are even more not inexpensive. Depending on your setup, you could also go old-school with DiY surge devices. Messy and noisy though.

OP
OP
P

pedro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton of great options for really huge tanks. I use a quartet of vortech MP60 on my 96" 450. They'd probably do OK on 118'. Not inexpensive though. You could also look at the panta rhei hydrowzard pumps …. though they are even more not inexpensive. Depending on your setup, you could also go old-school with DiY surge devices. Messy and noisy though.

hello
thanks for your opinion
yes i also think make a closed loop is a good option so i thought so!
what do you think of the idea?
the problem will be getting a controller that waves because the jebao 18000 lt / h is continuous flow
thanks
IMG_20191119_144029.jpg

regards

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, forgot to mention closed loop. I'm a big fan of them on really big tanks. I don't know how well Jebao pumps hold up these days, and whether they can be run externally (without leaking). You could probably still find an oceans motions type device; otherwise a dynamically ramping pump like the Vectra is a better choice. COR could work also, though I think the flow rating is lower.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While closed loops can do a great job circulating water I have never been a fan of them if they require holes in the bottom of the tank. If a bulkhead on the bottom of the tank leaks in many cases there will be no way to make a good repair without draining the tank. There is also the possibility of a catastrophic bulkhead failure which would be devastating to any tank. While I know this would be a rare scenario it can happen I have seen a few instances of this happening over the years. The other issue becomes access to replace the bottom bulkheads. I had to replace a bottom bulkhead that was leaking on a tank once for an overflow box that was not water tight and it was a nightmare to replace as access under the tank was not easy and did not leave enough room to easily tighten down the bulkhead. Also all the detritus and other debris hindered the ability to easily make a good seal for the replacement bulkhead.

I have often though about making a larger DIY propeller pump using a DC water pump just to have fixed high flow. I planned to used smaller controllable pumps to randomize the high flow by running the smaller pumps opposing that water flow or perpendicular to the high flow.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads are also much more efficient and tend to move a lot more water than a CL. I use 4 MP60s on either end of my 96"x48"x30" tank with good results. If I had your length I would add two more to the back flowing to the front.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a 400 gallon (84X36X30). For starters I will be using 2 MP60s, 1" seaswirl return with a Y fitting, 1 Closed loop 2000GPH vectra m1 feeding 2 more 1" seaswirls (each front corner). My current 115 tank has 2 MP40s and seasweep and seaswirl return and the flow is outstanding but took alot of trial and error. I have to clean my pumps every month and this chore I don't want increase when I upgrade which is why adding a closed loop can give me at least 6-8 months without worrying about the flow.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre are good but I feel to close the lighting and difficult to clean. I like the idea of them in frag tank or shallow tank though so can't go wrong with them aslong as you keep them clean

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back