Circulation question

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a 125 gallon 6 ft fowlr tank, I put two fluval power heads rated for up to 90 gallons each, one on each end of the tank one placed near the surface to agitate the water and one about 3/4 of the way towards the bottom of the tank. Is that too much water flow? Will it stress the fish? I have a fluval f6 canister filter and a fluval 110 hob running at either ends of the tank also

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a 125 gallon 6 ft fowlr tank, I put two fluval power heads rated for up to 90 gallons each, one on each end of the tank one placed near the surface to agitate the water and one about 3/4 of the way towards the bottom of the tank. Is that too much water flow? Will it stress the fish? I have a fluval f6 canister filter and a fluval 110 hob running at either ends of the tank also
Don't worry about too much. That's no where near what people have in an sps tank. The things to aim for are surface agitation, no sand blowing around, no dead spots.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about too much. That's no where near what people have in an sps tank. The things to aim for are surface agitation, no sand blowing around, no dead spots.
Okay thank you that's a relief, so does it sound like enough flow? I have the one near the bottom on the side with the hob filter because that agitates the water on that end of the tank

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you that's a relief, so does it sound like enough flow? I have the one near the bottom on the side with the hob filter because that agitates the water on that end of the tank
Watch your tank and see if those criteria are met. When feeding if you see places where the food dies from no flow, you know you need more or an adjustment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your tank and see if those criteria are met. When feeding if you see places where the food dies from no flow, you know you need more or an adjustment.
Thanks alot for the information, I will watch to see the next time I'm feeding

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I thought I had way too much flow. Now 4 years later my pumps are almost all the way up.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stress , no uless the current is excessive or vigorous which is likely not the case

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know enough to try putting together a sump and space was an issue, will I be alright with the filters I described do you guys think? I wanted to keep possibly two different kinds of tangs and maybe an emperor angel fish, along with a couple clowns and maybe a puffer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know enough to try putting together a sump and space was an issue, will I be alright with the filters I described do you guys think? I wanted to keep possibly two different kinds of tangs and maybe an emperor angel fish, along with a couple clowns and maybe a
I didn't know enough to try putting together a sump and space was an issue, will I be alright with the filters I described do you guys think? I wanted to keep possibly two different kinds of tangs and maybe an emperor angel fish, along with a couple clowns and maybe a puffer
My plan was not to stock very heavily so I could keep the fish I really wanted

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep up on the maintenance of your current filtration. Beyond that a HoB skimmer would be nice. I use the Reef Octo HoB for my 90g and love it. You have a lot more breathing room for parameters since you don't have coral. With the fish you're describing I'd either recommend quarantine or buying from a place like drreefsquarantinedfish.com

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep up on the maintenance of your current filtration. Beyond that a HoB skimmer would be nice. I use the Reef Octo HoB for my 90g and love it. You have a lot more breathing room for parameters since you don't have coral. With the fish you're describing I'd either recommend quarantine or buying from a place like drreefsquarantinedfish.com
A quarantine/hospital tank is my next step after I get the main tank cycled, I will check out that site thanks for the tip I've been trying to figure out a reputable one to get my fish from. I was thinking of adding a skimmer once my bio load was heavier, this is ending up being much more expensive than freshwater lol I'm super pumped though it's been a dream of mine for twenty years to have a saltwater tank

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back