Cirrhilabrus claire; Claire's Fairy Wrasse (Cook Islands)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until 2011, there were no live photos of this species (it was only discovered in 2001). Prior to it's recent collection at that time, all we had were the original holotypes. Needless to say, I myself was excited to see this species in 2011 (via Koji Wada, Blue Harbor Aquatics, Osaka Japan). But then it wasn't until last year (2014) a clear distinction was made; there are two variants of this species. It's TBD if they're actually separate species or not, and that may never be totally clear. But for now, we know the original discovery was made off the Cook Islands, and the other variant comes via Tahiti (with Rufus Kimura collecting them). The Tahitian variant differs in that the ventral fins are all black, and there's a strip of black at the tip of the caudal. Whereas the Cook Islands variant has red ventral fins, and the anal, caudal, and dorsal fin all have reds and oranges also present. (if you're interested, Lemon has written more about the differences here)

So I was completely aghast when the opportunity presented itself to me to purchase a specimen collect off the Cook Islands; it's been on my dream list for years. I purchased this fish via Diver's Den (DD) back in March (they had two). He (she at the time) was QT'd for 7 weeks, and has been in my DT since.

As far as I know, this is one of only five in the USA. Quality Marine (QM) brought in a trio last year which were sold to Elos Aquastudio in NJ, and then this one and another were brought in this year through QM and sold to DD. All of which have been collected via Chip Boyle's station in the Cook Islands. If the name Boyle strikes you as familiar, you may be thinking of Paracentropyge boylei - the Peppermint Angel. Chip knows what he's doing at extreme depths. :) I am not sure if it was he himself which collected this claire, or if it may have been another member of the dive team. I am told there is one other member on the team (besides himself) which dives a rebreather.

Yes, this fish was expensive, and I realize not everyone will understand the appeal. But given the history, the story, the allure, and the beauty - it's worth it for me. :cool:

This fish is currently a sub-male, for now...

DSC_3629
by Hunter Hammond, on Flickr

DSC_3626

DSC_3616

DSC_3732

Nwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish!!! I am just starting up a new tank and I am going to make it a wrasse retreat. Maybe one day I will have 1/4 of the collection you have!

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is quite expensive, but anyone who sees that fish in your tank will most likely never see another one in person. Thanks for sharing these pics.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a mint! But for someone that collects rare wrasse, it makes more sense. I probably would never spend that much on a fish but it's all relative - I've wasted copious amounts on other fish, tanks, cars, car modifications, and more.

Very neat fish, as it transforms to terminal male I forbid you from keeping the photos to yourself. Post them immediately or the ban stick should be utilized. I don't wield it, but if I did...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest waste of money for me was a charger with stupid doors, custom paint, air ride suspension, and "floaters". Those "younger" years of car shows were a time in my life where I was a complete idiot, so I can't say much! :D

At least your fish is beautiful and won't break down every 30 seconds because it's a Dodge...

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Gorgeous fish. I was lucky enough to see the trio at elos aquastudio when they got them. Absolutely gorgeous in person. If I remember correctly there's another pair on the east coast as well. Best of luck!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Gorgeous fish. I was lucky enough to see the trio at elos aquastudio when they got them. Absolutely gorgeous in person. If I remember correctly there's another pair on the east coast as well. Best of luck!
Would you happen to know who purchased them from Elos? That's a question I've not been able to answer.
There are some Tahitian ones spattered around the US.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish and nice writeup!

Waynel333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your Claire! She's beautiful. I have a pair that was collected by Rufus in Tahiti. My male developed more of a lavender body, while my female has more of a fuchsia body like yours. The male also develops a black border along its dorsal and anal fins.

My male:

Claire%20M%201%20Nice%20small-L.jpg

Claire%20P%201%20small-L.jpg

Claire%20Bandit%20small-L.jpg

The female:

Claire%20Female%2011%20small-L.jpg

Claire%20Female%2012%20small-L.jpg

The pair together:

Claire%20Pair%201%20small-L.jpg

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing fish Hunter, it's killing me see the one sit on DD, so tempted but it's just a little more than Im willing to go at this point. Guess I'll just have to come visit yours!

Love it Wayne, they look incredible man.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your Claire! She's beautiful. I have a pair that was collected by Rufus in Tahiti. My male developed more of a lavender body, while my female has more of a fuchsia body like yours. The male also develops a black border along its dorsal and anal fins.
Hey Wayne; good to see you over here.
They're looking great!

Amazing fish Hunter, it's killing me see the one sit on DD, so tempted but it's just a little more than Im willing to go at this point.
Doooo iiiiiit. Seriously, just close your eyes and click. Or something.
Yeah, mine's not too far away.

Last edited:

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great looking fish hunter. You are inspiring me to get one I'm tempted to get the one on DD

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynel333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wayne; good to see you over here.
They're looking great!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm more of a lurker over here. I've been very tempted to purchase the LA DD one as well but am trying to be good. But if they keep on lowering the price I may not be able to resist anymore. Their current price is still very reasonable.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back