Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply (1st Revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, none are that bad. They all chase each other a bit. The Flame is probably the most dominant, but the Velvet Multicolor was the worst when my Pintail escaped it's acclimation box. Had to leave the lights off for a day to let them chill out. There is occasional chasing between the Flame and the Velvet and the Labouti gets chased by the Rhomboid but nothing serious at all. Surprisingly, the biggest, the Lineatus, is a total chicken, he tries to jump out of the tank if I move too suddenly when I feed them. I had to seal the top very tight to keep everyone in.
pics?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will try to shoot some video when I feed them tonight. For some reason they don't sit still when I ask them to :).
I know how that goes. My Attenuatus does not stop moving!

Post it over on the Wrasse Lovers thread. Thanks

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I'm looking into leopard wrasses as a possible addition but I am unclear as to their diet. I understand they eat pods and the such, but will they eat flake as well? Is this a fish i can pursue with my tank just starting, or is it like a Mandarin where only well established tanks will work?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would definitely be better in a more mature tank but I got my Potter's eating well in QT and it has been with me almost 5 years. Try live black worms, white worms or frozen blood worms. Those seem to be the best at getting them to eat.

Because of the difficulty getting them to eat they are not a great fish for a beginner so if you are as new as your tank it might be wise to start with something easier and try the leopard wrasse down the road?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would definitely be better in a more mature tank but I got my Potter's eating well in QT and it has been with me almost 5 years. Try live black worms, white worms or frozen blood worms. Those seem to be the best at getting them to eat.

Because of the difficulty getting them to eat they are not a great fish for a beginner so if you are as new as your tank it might be wise to start with something easier and try the leopard wrasse down the road?

I was thinking of getting one down the road if food was going to be an issue. I'm certainly new to reefing, and I've been fortunate that all my fish in QT like the flake food I have. Soon I'll be making my own frozen food to feed them.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing. I need one for the other wrasses now.

Maybe evolved or eatbreakfast can do that one day. I bet if you asked about specific ones they would be more than happy to answer questions.

Yep TJ, Hunter I just volunteered you guys! :D

If you go to Hunter's first article.... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/ each genus has a good description with temperament and difficulty comments for all of the most commonly kept species.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 rubrisquamis and they haven’t been too aggressive for me. They are generally my favorite because both tend to flare much more than the other fairy wrasses and it is a real sight to behold. No biting or chasing. Just a dive bomb once or twice a day without it being the same target.

Pic for attention

d90f380f7609bccec702ba68812f41de.jpg

That was my first one in my 90 gallon. He acted kinda tough like an enforcer, but really my lineatus was the king.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe evolved or eatbreakfast can do that one day. I bet if you asked about specific ones they would be more than happy to answer questions.

Yep TJ, Hunter I just volunteered you guys! :D

If you go to Hunter's first article.... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/ each genus has a good description with temperament and difficulty comments for all of the most commonly kept species.

I love the fairy wrasses, but some of the other types are on my list as well. It would be nice to know how leopard, or six-line or those types play with each other.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fairy wrasses, but some of the other types are on my list as well. It would be nice to know how leopard, or six-line or those types play with each other.

That's pretty easy. Six lines don't often play nicely with any other wrasse. While some people have had short term success I think I can speak for both @evolved and @eatbreakfast when I say they recommend avoiding the Pseudocheilinus genus altogether.

With Macrpharyngodon a single male and multiple females (sometimes of different species) can work fine. Tank size probably matters, but that's doable. I've never had a leopard wrasse get testy with another genus of wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty easy. Six lines don't often play nicely with any other wrasse. While some people have had short term success I think I can speak for both @evolved and @eatbreakfast when I say they recommend avoiding the Pseudocheilinus genus altogether.

With Macrpharyngodon a single male and multiple females (sometimes of different species) can work fine. Tank size probably matters, but that's doable. I've never had a leopard wrasse get testy with another genus of wrasse.
Agreed with this completely.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a thread on another forum about Pseudocheilinus (lined wrasses). OP has a 450 gallon that he tried adding a 4 line and a mystery wrasse. Even after 3 days using an acclimation box, it still isn't working...in a 450 gallon.

Avoid that genus if you want more than one wrasse.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a thread on another forum about Pseudocheilinus (lined wrasses). OP has a 450 gallon that he tried adding a 4 line and a mystery wrasse. Even after 3 days using an acclimation box, it still isn't working...in a 450 gallon.

Avoid that genus if you want more than one wrasse.
That is great information that I will keep in mind as I avoid that genus of wrasse.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much info do we have on Monsoon Wrasses at this point? I just picked up a tiny female (2"). I am guessing they get about Naoko size and have a similar attitude? I plan to keep her in QT for as long as possible to see if I can get her to grow another inch or so before she goes in with my bigger fish. I don't want my Aussie Harlequin Tusk mistaking her for food.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent Chart and very informative. I do have a couple questions. Are Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis and Cirrhilabrus cf. aurantidorsalis different species or just different variations of the same wrasse based on location. I don't see it on the chart. I know which complex it would belong to just curious as I think I like the colors of Cirrhilabrus cf. aurantidorsalis better. 1 more question I know Cirrhilabrus cf. aurantidorsalis is in the same complex as C. ryukyuensis but different clades within the complex and I was wondering if both could be added in preferably a 75g or at least a 6ft 125g.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent Chart and very informative. I do have a couple questions. Are Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis and Cirrhilabrus cf. aurantidorsalis different species or just different variations of the same wrasse based on location. I don't see it on the chart. I know which complex it would belong to just curious as I think I like the colors of Cirrhilabrus cf. aurantidorsalis better. 1 more question I know Cirrhilabrus cf. aurantidorsalis is in the same complex as C. ryukyuensis but different clades within the complex and I was wondering if both could be added in preferably a 75g or at least a 6ft 125g.
I don't believe cf aurantidorsalis is on the chart, but care and requirements are comparable to aurantidorsalis. I would recommend going with the larger tank if housed with ryukyuensis.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks eatbreakfast. I figured care was the same but I like the colors better on cf. aurantidorsalis. I know that some wrasses that originally were considered color variants based on location have now been given species status and wasn't sure if this was one of them. I will find out where cf. aurantidorsalis is found and get one from that location, adding to the larger tank. Another question I eventually want to get c. lineatus, c. rhomboidalis, c. cf. pylei, and c. rubrimarginatus. I know that the first 2 can go together based on other peoples posts and probably the 3rd can go but what about all 4 in the 125g. I probably will also add cf. aurantidorsalis, c. ryukyuensis, c. isosceles and c. exquisitus along with some flasher wrasses and maybe a species of halichoeres if you think this is doable. I could split up between tanks but would prefer all in one. Thanks for you time and help.
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back