Cirrhilabrus earlei - Earl's Fairy Wrasse

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry's birthday present arrived this morning and he is a stunner! Hat's off to PIA! The fish was incredibly well-packed (quadruple bagged!). Even with the really long flight, the water params were GREAT.

He is very alert, curious, unafraid of people and definitely recognizes the food bottle, lol. Here are some pics of him chilling in our QT. Sorry for the poor quality, but we didn't want to stress the little man out. We'll post better one's later...

Thank you Kevin and PIA! We are excited to be adding him into our reef family...

-M&T :bigsmile:

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a sweet addition!!! so it seems you'd recommend fairy wrasses from PIA? how about rhomboids or lineatus'?, I've been trying to get one lately and I just cant seem to get a specimen to live due to swim bladder issues. Are their wrasses kept for a specific amount of time to ensure pristine health. Sorry for all the questions
thanks in advance,

Andrew

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Rhomboids and Bell's Flasher's came from PIA and were in excellent health when they arrived. We do QT our fish to observe for signs of disease, fatten them up and get them used to captive life before adding them to our DT. We also treat all new fish with Prazipro as a preventative for flukes and worms.

I am not an expert on swim bladder disease, but it does seem that some fairy's are more prone to swim bladder infections than others. We have lost both Lineatus and Rhomboid fairy's to the disease and the fish were not from one particular vendor. If the infection is caught early, it can be treated with erythromycin.

-Terry

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking fish, I was lucky enough to see them in life at Dnov's truly a amazing fish and collection you have.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!!! Congrats Terry, and happy birthday.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My gosh that's beautiful!

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Can't wait to see a pic of him in the tank!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:waaaht:and:dribble:with one more:waaaht:!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking fish, I was lucky enough to see them in life at Dnov's truly a amazing fish and collection you have.

Beautiful!!! Congrats Terry, and happy birthday.

Lovely. Happy Birthday Terry. Again. LOL

My gosh that's beautiful!

Beautiful! Can't wait to see a pic of him in the tank!

:waaaht:and:dribble:with one more:waaaht:!

Thank you so much everyone! We are both completely besotted, LOL! He has settled into the QT tank with ease, so we started his first Prazipro treatment this morning. We knew he was going to be an amazing specimen, but seeing him in person is something else. He is not afraid of us at all and it is obvious he associated people with food, lol.

-M&T

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty ! Hard too get?
They are pretty rare in the hobby because they are deep water fish. They just started to become available in the States in the fall of 2010 (I believe?). Brad Syphus was lucky enough to acquire one of the first one's. I blame my infatuation for the fish on him as he takes the amazing pics, LOL!

Beautiful fish
Thank you! My pics really do not do him justice. I'm going to try and get some video in the next couple of days.

-Terry

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish Mike & Terry. Very jealous and plan to get one for my tank once I'm able to start buying fish again :)

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish Mike & Terry. Very jealous and plan to get one for my tank once I'm able to start buying fish again :)

Wow, you guys are outdoing yourselves in awesome fish! I need to see the tank again soon :)

Thank you Brian and Roni!

Brian, pictures don't do them justice and PIA did an awesome job conditioning ours. He has so much personality and is completely unafraid. I use a Tom's gravel cleaner (I've attached a vinyl hose to it) to siphon fish poo and water out of the QT. I took out about 4 gallons of water this morning and he just followed the cleaner around checking out what I was doing, lol. It normally takes a few days for most fish to stop freaking out and go hide in the pvc condo, let alone hang out the whole time.

-Terry

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently pondered something about this species: does the purple on them "glow" like that of a candy basslet under actinics?

Gorgeous specimen, btw. :)

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently pondered something about this species: does the purple on them "glow" like that of a candy basslet under actinics?

Thank you! As for glowing under actinics, I have no idea, but wouldn't that be cool. We have some very modest lighting on our QT (a cheap par38 LED bulb along w/a cheap compact flourescent). :smile:

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a pair of Earlei's and a pair of candy basslets. The purple on the Earlei's does NOT glow like the purple on the Candies under LED's or T5's. Don't the Candies look supernatural under LED's or T/5's/Actinics?? Those purple stripes glow otherworldly!!! The purple on the Earlei is somewhat faded under LED and T/5's...the fish almost look pale under that lighting. Not at all pale under the MH/T5/LED combo I run for most of the day...super bright and vivid.

The Earlei's from PIA are awesome. I recently got another male as my original got an injury and never was able to recover so my female needed a new friend. The second male I acquired was way super colored up, much more than the first. It is really apparent when he hangs with his new girly, she definitely pales next to him, and she is pretty awesome so.....:D

Mike and Terry, you are having the same experience that I had with my Earleis and why I call these little guys my "puppy" fish...they are like cute little puppies that have a ton of personality and appear completely at ease with humans. Mine regularly come right up to my hand, the food bowl, the siphon hose (eek), or anything I put in the tank. They are very inquisitive and sweet natured. Enjoy :D.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encore!!!! encore!!! I want more, he's amazing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back