Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus and any of the Paracheilinus wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 4’x2’x2’ tank, I have 5 wrasse:
- Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus - Black margin fairy wrasse,
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both variants) - Lubbock’s Fairy wrasse,
- Halichoeres iridis - Radiant wrasse,
- Halichoeres chloropterus - Jade wrasse.
I want to know if anyone has kept flashers with the either both or one of the two most aggressive wrasse I own (C. melanomarginatus and H. chloropterus). Also if the wrasse went in after or before the Jade and/or Black Margin, aswell as which species it was (I like the Mccoskers from Africa after finding an African mccoskers with a nice electric blue dorsal fin against the black below it at an LFS with a bad reputation for wiping out SW tanks with ich so I didn’t go for it).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to keep that green wrasse? They get biggish, ugly, and mean.

@SaltyT
I probably will - I quite like him at the moment and I have other old wrasse.
That Mean behaviour I don’t believe in, mine only flashing at the Jade because they’re both 4” but I have added in a Lubbock after he was established and no care in the world (That was when the lights were on too).
Mine hasn’t gained the mean behaviour that they’re known for, mines actually the most jumpy in the tank and the 1” Indo Lubbock is the one that bosses the wrasses around so, I don’t think they deserve such a bad rep (And either way I wanted something from the scottorum group - I more wanted the Australian Scott’s but I like C. melanomarginatul because of the anal fin being so bright on by male).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably will - I quite like him at the moment and I have other old wrasse.
That Mean behaviour I don’t believe in, mine only flashing at the Jade because they’re both 4” but I have added in a Lubbock after he was established and no care in the world (That was when the lights were on too).
Mine hasn’t gained the mean behaviour that they’re known for, mines actually the most jumpy in the tank and the 1” Indo Lubbock is the one that bosses the wrasses around so, I don’t think they deserve such a bad rep (And either way I wanted something from the scottorum group - I more wanted the Australian Scott’s but I like C. melanomarginatul because of the anal fin being so bright on by male).
I think we're talking about different wrasses. By green wrasse, I meant the H. chloropterus. They get biggish, ugly, and mean.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we're talking about different wrasses. By green wrasse, I meant the H. chloropterus. They get biggish, ugly, and mean.
Yeah, I realise that - Mine has yet to go that brownish colour they’re meant to go and I realise they get big (8” supposedly) but mine is at 5” and slowing in growth. She’s also a VERY good unwanted animal eater, that mean behaviour has yet to be seen (A bit of flashing to the melanomarginatus but that’s expected since they’re the same size).
Mine still shows the juvenile colours and she doesn’t care about the Iridis - I think if I threw in a third Halichoeres she may care but that would be expected since they have similar bodies and usually similar bodied fish Dont get along.
image.jpg

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @nereefpat, it's not a good idea to put a flasher wrasse in with H. chloropterus. When your chloropterus becomes male its behavior will change.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @nereefpat, it's not a good idea to put a flasher wrasse in with H. chloropterus. When your chloropterus becomes male its behavior will change.
Yeah, I realise that but I take beyond too many risks that people don’t always like haha..
I mean, I haven’t QTed any fish (Even the tang), I have C. melanomarginatus in with 2 other fairies and supposedly that shouldn’t work out, and if I understand this, two fairies from the same complex shouldnt work either..
Two Lubbock’s are working out just fine (Nobody stressing or anything - Even my leopard whose now 1” is fine in my nano, although she won’t be in there forever, only when the naoko and her show stress will I move them however at the moment they’re just chilling in there absolutely fine). With H. chloropterus surely if they change gender they don’t care if the other tank mate was in the tank before them or before they change?

I have been looking into P. octotaenia and they seem to be the most boisterous, some close enough to compete with the scottorum group? How bad is the aggression of a Chloropterus full grown? Mine is flashing and bosses the melanomarginatus but it’s only the odd chase - I took a quick look at her today and she looks to be 4.5” (5” at a push).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I realise that but I take beyond too many risks that people don’t always like haha..
I mean, I haven’t QTed any fish (Even the tang), I have C. melanomarginatus in with 2 other fairies and supposedly that shouldn’t work out, and if I understand this, two fairies from the same complex shouldnt work either..
Two Lubbock’s are working out just fine (Nobody stressing or anything - Even my leopard whose now 1” is fine in my nano, although she won’t be in there forever, only when the naoko and her show stress will I move them however at the moment they’re just chilling in there absolutely fine). With H. chloropterus surely if they change gender they don’t care if the other tank mate was in the tank before them or before they change?

I have been looking into P. octotaenia and they seem to be the most boisterous, some close enough to compete with the scottorum group? How bad is the aggression of a Chloropterus full grown? Mine is flashing and bosses the melanomarginatus but it’s only the odd chase - I took a quick look at her today and she looks to be 4.5” (5” at a push).
P. octotaenia is tough for a flasher wrasse, but no match for a male chloropterus. Male chloropterus can be downright evil towards smaller, less assertive wrasses.

LOL yes you are a risk taker and so far you're fortunate you have a mix of wrasses in your tank that on paper should not get along but so far they are. It doesn't mean they will always peacefully co-exist in your tank, harmony could be disrupted when your chloropterus transitions, or when you add in the naoko and leopard, or when you try to add a flasher, etc....

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. octotaenia is tough for a flasher wrasse, but no match for a male chloropterus. Male chloropterus can be downright evil towards smaller, less assertive wrasses.

LOL yes you are a risk taker and so far you're fortunate you have a mix of wrasses in your tank that on paper should not get along but so far they are. It doesn't mean they will always peacefully co-exist in your tank, harmony could be disrupted when your chloropterus transitions, or when you add in the naoko and leopard, or when you try to add a flasher, etc....
Yeah, I realise that - The naoko and leopard will probably get to either max size or close before I add them just so they have a better chance of beating the black margin’s aggression (If he does get that aggressive that is). So far I have tried to stick with different bodied fish - Similar to what I do with tangs and other aggressive species. I may skip the flasher but if I was to do it, I would add him with Atleast the naoko if not both the naoko and leopard so that aggression is dispersed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back