CITES Europe to Discuss Restrictions on Australian Corals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Daphnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand their point. Some of the large single-polyp corals (Acanthophyllia, Scolymia) are slow growing and their removal from habitats is propably not sustainable. To be fair, most of these corals are probably decades old when they are brought into home aquaria. And these species tend to die off in our tanks rather often.
However, species like Duncan and most Euphyllia can be propagated easily and small frags can be made that grow into colonies in our tanks.
Edit: I just realized that most Euphyllia are hard to propagate. What is now called Fimbriaphyllia are the branching ones that are easy to frag.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand their point. Some of the large single-polyp corals (Acanthophyllia, Scolymia) are slow growing and their removal from habitats is propably not sustainable. To be fair, most of these corals are probably decades old when they are brought into home aquaria. And these species tend to die off in our tanks rather often.
However, species like Duncan and most Euphyllia can be propagated easily and small frags can be made that grow into colonies in our tanks.
Edit: I just realized that most Euphyllia are hard to propagate. What is now called Fimbriaphyllia are the branching ones that are easy to frag.
I agree, there's no way most LPS are growing back quickly. Acros and SPS on the other hand can probably recover from collection in a couple months.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back