OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - a picture does replace 1000 words. I'm going to phone a friend LOL.

My opinion - a neurologic issue (due perhaps to rapid salinity change) - or a fluke issue (but I'm not at all sure why that would suddenly come on with shipping - or - injury during shipping.

Have you tried turning your flow pumps off to see if it changes the behavior?

@vetteguy53081 @fishguy242 @Jay Hemdal
Now noticing some white marks showing up on his top fin and back fin - is this ich?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess one more question - is the fish at the front of the tank - or are you filming him somehow from the back?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now noticing some white marks showing up on his top fin and back fin - is this ich?

To me - no - it does not - it looks more like lymphocystis - but it was just a quick glimpse. If I were to give you any advice for the future - while we work on this issue -

1. Follow the acclimation procedure of (company xxxx) to the letter - sometimes they use a lower salinity - if you suddenly increase it - problems can ensue
2. If you have the ability to get to a local fish store(where you can observe the fish for a time) - or the ability to get fish from a quarantined source. @Dr. Reef or others - do that. Or (but I think you said it would be hard for you to do it) - your own quarantine system. I know this sounds like a difficult task.

I just cannot believe that your fish - has developed a treatable disease in the time since you bought it (unless it was sold with the disease).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way - I meant to ask are the white marks 'new'.
Lymphocyctis (I dont think) developed in 24 hours

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me - no - it does not - it looks more like lymphocystis - but it was just a quick glimpse. If I were to give you any advice for the future - while we work on this issue -

1. Follow the acclimation procedure of (company xxxx) to the letter - sometimes they use a lower salinity - if you suddenly increase it - problems can ensue
2. If you have the ability to get to a local fish store(where you can observe the fish for a time) - or the ability to get fish from a quarantined source. @Dr. Reef or others - do that. Or (but I think you said it would be hard for you to do it) - your own quarantine system. I know this sounds like a difficult task.

I just cannot believe that your fish - has developed a treatable disease in the time since you bought it (unless it was sold with the disease).
I suspect he had this before they shipped it out to me - there’s a chance its salinity shock but I’ve been doing this awhile and haven’t lost a fish to acclimation since I was a little kid when I didn’t know any better on how to do it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suspect he had this before they shipped it out to me - there’s a chance its salinity shock but I’ve been doing this awhile and haven’t lost a fish to acclimation since I was a little kid when I didn’t know any better on how to do it.
OK great - well - my recommendation remains the same - wait. a fish can survive for days without food (assuming its healthy) - I've been doing it a while too - and basically - I follow their instructions. If I buy a fish from an LFS - I do what you do. When you buy online - there could be a huge pH difference thus a huge free ammonia difference - thus a problem. Can you relate at all - to the issue that perhaps the problem is acclimation (and I dont mean that as an accusation - just - did you follow their acclimation). And no - I do not work for Liveaquaria

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK great - well - my recommendation remains the same - wait. a fish can survive for days without food (assuming its healthy) - I've been doing it a while too - and basically - I follow their instructions. If I buy a fish from an LFS - I do what you do. When you buy online - there could be a huge pH difference thus a huge free ammonia difference - thus a problem. Can you relate at all - to the issue that perhaps the problem is acclimation (and I dont mean that as an accusation - just - did you follow their acclimation). And no - I do not work for Liveaquaria
Here’s their instructions - I did everything but the last part where they ask you to empty the bag to 50% a 2nd time and refill - I have never done this in my 20 years of fish keeping and haven’t lost a fish to acclimation. Not saying Im right and maybe that extra step wouldve helped - I can definitely do that moving forward.

if it is salinity or ph shock - can he recover or is he pretty toast if thats the case?

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It feels very psychological like his brain is not all there - he seems very wobbly and confused. Could maybe a delivery driver dropping his package cause a trauma like this? Is there any hope for recovery?

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like we’re losing him - now he’s extremely unstable and can only swim on his side

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels very psychological like his brain is not all there - he seems very wobbly and confused. Could maybe a delivery driver dropping his package cause a trauma like this? Is there any hope for recovery?
Hi, I looked this over and just wanted to add another possibility: these gobies are low value, cryptic fish. Collectors won’t spend time trying to catch them in hand nets, They typically use cyanide to drive them out of the coral. This causes latent health issues in some of the fish collected that way.
Jay

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I looked this over and just wanted to add another possibility: these gobies are low value, cryptic fish. Collectors won’t spend time trying to catch them in hand nets, They typically use cyanide to drive them out of the coral. This causes latent health issues in some of the fish collected that way.
Jay
Good to know - I feel terrible for him, I mean it may be possible I moved too quick on acclimation but I just dont think thats it. For now on Ill go double what I’ve normally done just to be safe. This is a horrible thing to witness.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know - I feel terrible for him, I mean it may be possible I moved too quick on acclimation but I just dont think thats it. For now on Ill go double what I’ve normally done just to be safe. This is a horrible thing to witness.
It could be acclimation issues, or a combination of both.
If you test the salinity of the water in the shipping bag, you then know how different your tank is. I try to keep acclimation to less than 1.003 specific gravity units if it is a rise. Fish handle drops in salinity much better.
Jay

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be acclimation issues, or a combination of both.
If you test the salinity of the water in the shipping bag, you then know how different your tank is. I try to keep acclimation to less than 1.003 specific gravity units if it is a rise. Fish handle drops in salinity much better.
Jay
Unfortunately after 4 days of him being unable to swim and essentially comatose in a corner of the tank between the glass and the rock, somehow still surviving - I made the call to euthanize. Really tough day.

I will be hypervigilant moving forward as far as acclimating - also giving a new vendor a shot with some new arrivals tomorrow.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately after 4 days of him being unable to swim and essentially comatose in a corner of the tank between the glass and the rock, somehow still surviving - I made the call to euthanize. Really tough day.

I will be hypervigilant moving forward as far as acclimating - also giving a new vendor a shot with some new arrivals tomorrow.
Sounds like the right call, and it was most likely not your fault at all, sometimes they just don’t work out.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 6 fish yesterday - a new citron, purple firefish, 3 threadfin cardinals and a barnacle blenny. Already have a neon goby, pinkbar goby, pistol shrimp, tuxedo urchin and an assortment of LPS, Gorgs and a couple SPS at the top.

Took special care to measure salinity - they all came in at 1.019sg so took a little over an hour to get the bag close. So far so good.

Here’s a vid if interested:

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck
Reefs4Less was the vendor I tried based on some comments around here and so far really impressed. All arrived alive and healthy. Citron is being a citron and taking his sweet time eating but he’s at least swimming and hanging on the glass and doing normal citron things.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back