Citron Goby not eating or swimming

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new citron goby from LiveAquaria yesterday and he is about as big as I’ve ever seen a citron goby.

I have fed the tank mysis 4 times since he arrived - and he is showing zero interest.

He is extremely timid - and does not swim in the tank - he just scoots along the sandbed without swimming.

I will try to get a pic when he comes out (currently hiding under rocks) - any idea what might be going on here? Ive had tons of these fish and usually they are half his size and very active.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, adult to new surroundings,hopefully will come around to normal in a day or two.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't see buoyancy issue ,seems normal to me. let's get a couple more opinions.
@MnFish1 @threebuoys @Tamberav ?
It’s more when he stops hanging onto the wall there that you notice it - but the snail being there kind of saves him. It’s like he can’t stay straight up-and-down, current pushes him sideways unless he hangs onto something vertical. This was more pronounced a bit ago when he came to the front of the tank but didn’t get it on video.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when he sits in low flow area does back half start to rise ?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
honestly looks normal to me,he is adjusting himself to high flow when he turns at end of video.
shows "awareness" .

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a citron goby too, looks to be a similar size to yours. His behavior looks like nothing to worry about, and to be quite honest, mine is not the strongest swimmer either…
Good to know! Any idea why there are these large citrons and a smaller version? Are they just from different regions?

Here is Limón RIP - he was an amazing fish that recently passed, but has little similarities to the one I have now. I’ve always had the smaller citrons that don’t get near as big.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know! Any idea why there are these large citrons and a smaller version? Are they just from different regions?

Here is Limón RIP - he was an amazing fish that recently passed, but has little similarities to the one I have now. I’ve always had the smaller citrons that don’t get near as big.

2 different species ,common yellow,and citrus.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly looks normal to me,he is adjusting himself to high flow when he turns at end of video.
shows "awareness" .
He's a pretty fish. I don't notice anything unusual either. I'm sure you are concerned about his appetite.
Sometimes it takes a day or two, particularly for shipped fish. Keep an eye out for that and try a variety of food. As a sand sifter, might not always see what he's eating, but lack of appetite/malnutrition is always a big concern for me when I get shipped fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s more when he stops hanging onto the wall there that you notice it - but the snail being there kind of saves him. It’s like he can’t stay straight up-and-down, current pushes him sideways unless he hangs onto something vertical. This was more pronounced a bit ago when he came to the front of the tank but didn’t get it on video.
1. Is he being quarantined (or was he), dipped, etc?
2. To me, his fins look more clamped - and the jerking swimming seems more pronounced that I would expect (I.e. I wonder about a disease - velvet ,flukes, etc) - at least the possibility of those. I know gobies tend stick to the ground - and swim in a jerky fashion usually.
3. Swim bladder issues could also be the case - BUT - many adult gobies (as compared to larvae/smaller fish) to not have them.
4. Any other fish in the tank?

End result - I would watch carefully for any more evidence of 'disease' - could just be that he is in a new tank. As to feeding - (and I don't know why) - I have never had much luck feeding with Mysis. You might want to try a different food-type.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is he being quarantined (or was he), dipped, etc?
2. To me, his fins look more clamped - and the jerking swimming seems more pronounced that I would expect (I.e. I wonder about a disease - velvet ,flukes, etc) - at least the possibility of those. I know gobies tend stick to the ground - and swim in a jerky fashion usually.
3. Swim bladder issues could also be the case - BUT - many adult gobies (as compared to larvae/smaller fish) to not have them.
4. Any other fish in the tank?

End result - I would watch carefully for any more evidence of 'disease' - could just be that he is in a new tank. As to feeding - (and I don't know why) - I have never had much luck feeding with Mysis. You might want to try a different food-type.

Hope this helps!
He hasn’t been quarantined or dipped. I’ve had bad luck with quarantining.

As of today still the same - not eating - struggling to move. This doesn’t seem normal to me and I have no idea how this fish would survive long term. If he can’t swim how will he ever eat?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He hasn’t been quarantined or dipped. I’ve had bad luck with quarantining.

As of today still the same - not eating - struggling to move. This doesn’t seem normal to me and I have no idea how this fish would survive long term. If he can’t swim how will he ever eat?
Is he the only fish in the tank?
Do you know if the salinity of Live Aquaria - matched your tanks? What was your acclimation process?

To me since he has behaved this way since arrival - it would surprise me if it was a disease (this quickly) - especially If there is a low stocking density.

We can see what others weigh in on as well - I would watch for another day. I might also call Live aquaria and report the problems, etc. I am not aware if they treat with copper, etc.

There are foods out there that are meant for 'picky eaters' and Garlic is supposed to help stimulate appetite. If you checked with liveaquaria - it might also be possible to find out what they were feeding?

As many others have said - I've had gobies that literally sit in one place - and have scavenged for food - as compared to the usual 'free-for-all' at feeding time.

Since you didn't quarantine - another point would be to watch your other fish - in case the new fish brought something with him.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he the only fish in the tank?
Do you know if the salinity of Live Aquaria - matched your tanks? What was your acclimation process?

To me since he has behaved this way since arrival - it would surprise me if it was a disease (this quickly) - especially If there is a low stocking density.

We can see what others weigh in on as well - I would watch for another day. I might also call Live aquaria and report the problems, etc. I am not aware if they treat with copper, etc.

There are foods out there that are meant for 'picky eaters' and Garlic is supposed to help stimulate appetite. If you checked with liveaquaria - it might also be possible to find out what they were feeding?

As many others have said - I've had gobies that literally sit in one place - and have scavenged for food - as compared to the usual 'free-for-all' at feeding time.

Since you didn't quarantine - another point would be to watch your other fish - in case the new fish brought something with him.
I acclimated him for an hour using my version of the drip method - essentially pouring in a bit of water every 6 minutes while he’s floating in the bag. Emptied 50% of his water and filled back to top with 50% of mine before putting in.

I have 3 other fish in the tank - a barnacle blenny, pinkbar goby and neon goby. All doing fine.

I let LiveAquaria know and they seem as puzzled as I am. Here’s a video of him this morning - this is literally all he does - he’s not scared, just can’t swim.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I acclimated him for an hour using my version of the drip method - essentially pouring in a bit of water every 6 minutes while he’s floating in the bag. Emptied 50% of his water and filled back to top with 50% of mine before putting in.

I have 3 other fish in the tank - a barnacle blenny, pinkbar goby and neon goby. All doing fine.

I let LiveAquaria know and they seem as puzzled as I am. Here’s a video of him this morning - this is literally all he does - he’s not scared, just can’t swim.

Thanks - a picture does replace 1000 words. I'm going to phone a friend LOL.

My opinion - a neurologic issue (due perhaps to rapid salinity change) - or a fluke issue (but I'm not at all sure why that would suddenly come on with shipping - or - injury during shipping.

Have you tried turning your flow pumps off to see if it changes the behavior?

@vetteguy53081 @fishguy242 @Jay Hemdal

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back