Atlantean’s IM Peninsula 20g SPS-Dominant Build Project

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Starting my nano build with the IM Peninsula 20g (first build since I was a teen with the ol’ metal halide and cpr backpack skimmer setup). Thank you @Krixic for much of the equipment!

Equipment list
Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Peninsula 20g Aquarium
MightyJet 326 GPH Return Pump w/ Random Flow Nozzle
Cobalt 75W Heater
Inkbird Temperature Controller
XP Aqua Duetto ATO
Nero 3 Powerhead
2x AI Prime 16 HDs

If anyone is curious, I am using the APS stand (frame-only) but got vinyl-lined hardboard to encase it. Very budget-friendly solution. Panels are attached using velcro so I can access equipment underneath when I need to. Still need to mount the equipment underneath and clean up the wires.

Filtration
Innovative Marine Custom Caddy
- Filter Floss
- Chemi-pure Blue
- Purigen
Seachem Matrix
Water changes :)

Tank Progress
- Added 20lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics on 1/20. Pre-dosed some Fritz Zyme 9 and ammonia on 1/17 to try and get some bacteria established in the sand and matrix before introducing live rock. Hoping it will help suppress ammonia spikes from any live rock die-off that would harm desirable hitchhikers. Three days might not be enough to make a difference though.

Planning on adding maintenance doses of Vibrant starting this weekend to prevent algae growth until its ready for a CUC crew and potentially kill a small amount of bubble algae on one of the rocks before it gets too established. Maybe this would allow me to run the lights for a few hours a day to help maintain the coralline algae?

1/21/2021
IMG_3753.JPG IMG_3763.JPG
5/11/2021
836147AB-65BD-4323-B3AC-DA2D3BAEF3E0.jpeg
014AAEF0-3E1E-4331-A251-1484F4B27D4B.jpeg

8/21/21
87350359-950A-4A8F-889F-9C972825289D.jpeg

11/14/21
A729CC60-1300-45BB-9926-CE8B2BF16508.jpeg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some bad news. Discovered that there were two small cirolanid isopods in the KP Aquatics live rock. Kept my eye out for them before adding fish, but then found one the other morning on the larger clownfish. Fortunately, as I tried to net the clownfish, it darted away and the isopod separated and got caught in the net. The other isopod I found lurking in the sand below the clownfish the other night. Haven't seen any others since. Hopefully that's the last of them.

The larger clownfish also hasn't been eating despite my attempts at all sorts of food. It doesn't appear sick or have any labored breathing, but it's only a matter of time before it starts losing strength. The isopod and chasing it with the net certainly didn't help its stress levels. At least the little one has been eating like a pig.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking up. The larger clownfish finally started eating today and I have my new light setup!

Still need to figure out my light programming. Currently have the Saxby profile saved with the lights mounted at 10". Have them mounted in from the edge at 1/4 of the display length. May bring them down to 8 inches though. Let me know if you have any advice!
IMG_3803.JPG

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I have 2 prime 16hds on my peninsula as well. I'm using the BRS setting for softies/LPS (the ones recommended on a 12x12" cube since this tank is essentially 2 of those) from their youtube video. Have them 8" above the water line.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated livestock:
Red Goniopora
Branching Reverse Hammer Coral
PC Rainbow Acro
Rainbow BTA

Originally ordered an acan and rainbow BTA from a live sale. Was originally going to avoid an anemone, but the deal was too good to pass up. I figured by getting a small specimen and keeping it on that island away from the powerhead the risk of major issues will be relatively low unless it decides to float away.

Unfortunately, the shipment did not have enough heating packs and water was fairly cold on arrival. The acan died off and the BTA didn't look great (see picture). Since Wednesday, it has been hiding in between two rocks and seems to be recovering. Its pretty shaded and I'm hoping it will choose a new spot soon. Fed it a small piece of salmon and it ate it. Very surprised this little guy is pulling through after a pretty bad shipment experience.

After drip acclimation:
tempImageBjDX56.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some might say its a little early to be adding an Acro or BTA, but the LPS corals I have added are looking better than when I bought them. Coralline algae is also rapidly returning to the bleached sections that died off from shipment. I have a mild Bryopsis problem that's being held in check by only 3 astreas and vibrant treatments. Unfortunately my order from Reefcleaners this week was missing some Trochus snails and the ones that did arrive didn't make it, so my Astreas will have to continue holding down the fort.

Currently having to start adding extra food just so I don't starve the detritivores and raise the nitrates and phosphates both from 0. The clownfish still prefer eating their hatchery pellets on the water surface, so it's been easy to feed lightly.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated stock list:
Corals:
Bubblegum Digitata
Cali Tort
PC Rainbow
JF Beach Bum Monti
Red Cap Monti
Toxic Table Acro
Red Goniopora
Reverse Hammer Coral
Rainbow BTA
Nirvana Zoa
Eagle Eye Zoa
Green Bay Packers Zoa (aka Oregon Ducks Zoa :))

Fish:
Ocellaris Clownfish
Tailspot Blenny

Recently got some other mystery SPS frags from Top Shelf but they're not that interesting given my limited space so I'll probably part with them (Frogskin Tort, The Thing Anacorapora, Green Pocillopora).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back