OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got par readings today. 1st set is BRS 100% with 70% whites at 9 inches mount height. 2nd set is BRS 90% with 50% whites at 9 inches mount height. It's crazy how bright the sand areas are from the glass reflections.

BRS100_9inches_front.jpg
BRS100_9inches_back.jpg
BRS90_9inches_front.jpg
BRS90_9inches_back.jpg

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral selection and placement is getting there! About half of the SPS stock is from Battlecorals.
9748CAC8-50D4-4B89-9356-71785BC06837.jpeg

BAF8DB74-4718-4550-870E-003E8B96D528.jpeg 4B1842BA-9B39-4677-8F3D-DF39C0B002FA.jpeg 762D4759-C4C9-43F4-AAFB-5A734024704C.jpeg
At some point I’ll have to get something for that Red Turf algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity strangely started rising despite that I’ve stopped dosing and is hovering at about 9.0 Switched to TM Pro Reef to try and run lower alk since the tank wants to be ultra low nutrient. Been dosing Plus-NP to try and bring nutrients up a bit for the corals. I also gave up on dosing inorganic P since it was just feeding phosphates into my sand and wasn’t remaining in the water column.

I have no idea why, but tank is growing SPS with no cal/alk dosing right now and parameters are not falling. Coasting on water changes only.

PC Rainbow’s last month of growth.
551F6A37-3EE7-4EAD-96C6-1410BC65BF74.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the idea of TM Plus-NP but corals have been starving and my PC rainbow started losing color again. Going to have to go back to Neo-phos. Alkalinity consumption has pretty much dragged to a halt since I made the switch about 2 weeks ago. Still seen some growth though.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient instability is still a struggle. Stopped dosing phosphates while I was gone for a weekend and came back to some STN. Lost one coral and the others recovered. Alkalinity uptake also returned. Recently started reducing my phosphate dosing to 1ml due to some red turf algae and bryopsis that’s been making a return. But… one of the Battlecorals showed a little tissue whitening today. I swear I’m only really having issues with the Battlecorals. Rethinking the SPS dominant plan of the tank, or at least only stocking corals that are prevalent in the hobby to be relatively hardy across different systems.

I’m also thinking of adding a 5th fish to increase the bio load. A bottom dweller or water column fish would have enough space given the territories that are set up. Maybe a chromis or bangaii?

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping a new tuxedo urchin would beat back the red turf algae but it only likes my coralline. Going to have to try turbos.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my last post I’ve upgraded one of the AI’s to a Radion G5 Pro. The acros seem to love it and have been coloring up much faster. I’ve been pretty satisfied with coral health but have been having red turf algae and cyano issues, meaning it’s a little bit in the throes of an ugly phase. Dosing a lot of phosphate and nitrates daily. Phosphates still always test 0ppb and nitrates are at about 5ppm.

Also had a dino scare for a few weeks with some appearing in a few spots around the tank. Might have been due to excessive sand vacuuming. Upped my phosphate additions by adding some to my top off water, stopped cleaning the sand, and raised the temperature for a couple weeks. No more signs of dinos.

Upcoming plans: Sell corals that are growing disproportionately (like my red Goni) and open up the sand bed a bit more. Also really need to get the red turf algae beaten back. I have two tuxedo urchins doing work but may temporarily add a third or try more Mexican turbos (I got one but it had no interest in eating any of the algae in my tank and wasted away).

As for the cyano, I’ve cleaned my pumps to increase flow and started adding Microbacter7. Seemed to crop up when I added the Orchid Dottyback, so maybe a skimmer is necessary? Corals are doing great and dinos have been avoided so I don’t want to risk any upsets with additives like Vibrant or Chemiclean.
3EBDD81D-3852-43CF-AFC5-8CCAE3CC6F42.jpeg
32B0E293-B432-45D2-AC9F-3468729EA68E.jpeg
700E8BBC-F659-4F59-ADA3-A3BF7535FC2A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need another fish for the extra bioload. Clowns hang down in the left hand corner, dottyback has a cave in the right hand corner, and the blenny roams. So, there's a lot of territory in center water column.

Bangaii? Chromis? Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like a pair of bengaii and will have a pair in my 25 peninsula under construction.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my outside RODI setup pretty much finished. Much better than leaving the brute trashcan out in the sun and having to move my RODI unit in and out of the house all the time.
C733DA4B-A3D3-4280-B6B8-170DFE39C098.JPG

20 gallon brute just fits in the rubbermaid vertical storage shed. Before winter, I'm going to line the inside with some sort of thin insulation and install a tubular heater for freezing protection. Tank is just inside from the back patio so this works much better than taking up garage space and lugging up water from downstairs.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 10lbs from KP aquatics for my new set up. I love hitch hikers!
I did not do a hypo-salinity dip, tried to keep ammonia levels suppressed, and have not done any aggressive treatments for pests. I have had to deal with gorilla crabs, bryopsis, a few aiptasia, some cirolanid isopods, and still have some little bobbit-like worms that I'm leaving be until I see them grow to a concerning size.

If you play nice with the rock and find less-invasive, less-aggressive ways to manage pests, I think it will pay dividends down the road.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do a hypo-salinity dip, tried to keep ammonia levels suppressed, and have not done any aggressive treatments for pests. I have had to deal with gorilla crabs, bryopsis, a few aiptasia, some cirolanid isopods, and still have some little bobbit-like worms that I'm leaving be until I see them grow to a concerning size.

If you play nice with the rock and find less-invasive, less-aggressive ways to manage pests, I think it will pay dividends down the road.
mine arrived yesterday. I see worms, brittle stars, snails, and one crab (wife saw it, not sure what kind). I put it into my empty quarantine tank. Trying to decide when to move it to the display. I figured there would not be ammonia since it was shipped in water. I don’t even have an ammonia test kit. Wondering if I should be worried about it.

I miss the old days of rock and all the hitchhikers it came with. I have never had a real problem dealing with the less desirable critters. Well worth the trade off for me. I know others prefer a sterile environment but that’s definitely not been best for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back