Clam and Sea sponge together in a tank?

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently saw a beautiful red sponge and a clam at my lfs. I always wanted a clam in my tank. but after seeing this sponge I so want it too. The only thing since they both are filter feeders can they both, co-exist in a tank? I tried finding a lot on net but couldn't find anything on this.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? I personally have zero experience with sponges but I would think if there’s plenty of water volume they shouldn’t have to compete for food

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't compete for food because they need different kinds of food.

Most sponges (IMHO about 99%) will not live long term (more than 3 to 6 months if even that long) in an aquarium. There are a few, but the only ones that do well tend to grow under the rocks, in the dark and die off if turned up so they are exposed to the light.

I snorkel and collect some in the Keys and I have had almost zero luck with sponges. I love them. I think many of them are crazy cool looking. But 99% of reef aquariums don't have the proper food for sponges. None of the 'normal' fish or coral foods is the right stuff for a sponge. And they need food in the water for long periods of time. Don't waste your money.

The clam can do well in a mature tank with a stable environment and good PAR lighting. If your tand is less than a year old I wouldn't advise it. Nice looking clams are expensive and too many reefers rush to get them before they are experienced enough or their tanks are stable and mature enough. They are filter feeders and they will do much better in a tank that has been running longer.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? I personally have zero experience with sponges but I would think if there’s plenty of water volume they shouldn’t have to compete for food

180 gallon.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't compete for food because they need different kinds of food.

Most sponges (IMHO about 99%) will not live long term (more than 3 to 6 months if even that long) in an aquarium. There are a few, but the only ones that do well tend to grow under the rocks, in the dark and die off if turned up so they are exposed to the light.

I snorkel and collect some in the Keys and I have had almost zero luck with sponges. I love them. I think many of them are crazy cool looking. But 99% of reef aquariums don't have the proper food for sponges. None of the 'normal' fish or coral foods is the right stuff for a sponge. And they need food in the water for long periods of time. Don't waste your money.

The clam can do well in a mature tank with a stable environment and good PAR lighting. If your tand is less than a year old I wouldn't advise it. Nice looking clams are expensive and too many reefers rush to get them before they are experienced enough or their tanks are stable and mature enough. They are filter feeders and they will do much better in a tank that has been running longer.

Thank you so much. That was helpful. I’ve heard when a sponge dies it wipes out the tank with the toxins released is it true?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. That was helpful. I’ve heard when a sponge dies it wipes out the tank with the toxins released is it true?

Some of the more popular varieties are highly toxic. An example would be any of the tree sponges from the Caribbean.

This toxicity protects them from generalists but nature always finds a way so theres usually nudibranch species that feeds on a certain species or genus that incorporates its toxins.

With sponges you are also going to want your silicates above zero. Besides the cryptic zone if they are non photosynthetic. They can be very delicate when adding to an aquarium, exposure to air, oils from fingers, and salinity acclimation are all things to consider when adding one.

Running gac would be prudent in case it starts to die before you can pull it.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the more popular varieties are highly toxic. An example would be any of the tree sponges from the Caribbean.

This toxicity protects them from generalists but nature always finds a way so theres usually nudibranch species that feeds on a certain species or genus that incorporates its toxins.

With sponges you are also going to want your silicates above zero. Besides the cryptic zone if they are non photosynthetic. They can be very delicate when adding to an aquarium, exposure to air, oils from fingers, and salinity acclimation are all things to consider when adding one.

So all in all. I guess I shouldn’t buy it. Idk, I think it’s not worth taking the risk. But at the same time I’m just blown away by the beauty of it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the sponge. I’ve them for years.
They won’t nuke the tank most likely.

Look at two little fishies Marine snow. Use just a little. It’s basically some food plus vitamin c.
Sponges like a large bacterial population.

The sponge may die. Yes.
But just keep an eye on it. You’ll se the sighms. Trust yourself.

If you didn’t get it , you will have lost the opportunity to own one and enjoy it.
Would you rather never enjoy it’s beauty like a bouquet of flowers or leave it on the self to die unappreciated.

Anyone can have a zoa. Pffttt.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all in all. I guess I shouldn’t buy it. Idk, I think it’s not worth taking the risk. But at the same time I’m just blown away by the beauty of it.

I am Not going to call this easier by any measure but if did want a challenge later that has a chance of survival.

A very beautiful creature would be a sea whip. Also going to need the particulate foods but doesnt have the toxicity, aversion to light or the same acclimation worries.

But would not purchase online. Would wait for one to be available to locally. They dont always ship well. And better to see any signs of poor health before purchase.

I also had luck with 333aquatics when i ordered my red tree sponge btw.
Shipped quickly and arrived very healthy. Its been living under an overhang in the back of my tank since march-ish?

Last edited:

Kelso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a red ball sponge in my 12g nanocube, it was small and an impulse buy... wanted something red in the tank. I first placed it in the front because the bright red was an eye popping color, it looked great there but it didn't do well.

As an experiment it was tossed into the first chamber of the filter underneath the nylon bath mesh scrubber I use as a prefilter and basically forgot about it. It did surprisingly well there. Not sure why but I suspect it was because it moved from high light/random water flow area to low light with all the dirty tank water flowing past it.

The tank aquascape didn't have any areas that were both high water flow and low light so it stay in the back unseen.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to disagree to an extent with Garth on this one. I have brought home about 15 to 20 different sponges from the Florida Keys (the Caribbean) over the last 15 years. The bad news is none of them survived in my tank for more than a couple of months and some only for a week. However, they were in a 65g shallow reef tank and none of them 'nuked' my tank... in fact, as they died, I saw absolutely no effect on the tank whatsoever!

On the other hand, Garth is completely right about the fact that there are very few, almost none, that are photosynthetic. And exposure to air is sure death to most but not all sponges. However, sometimes after exposure to air, they can take days to almost 2 weeks to slowly die.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the sponge. I’ve them for years.
They won’t nuke the tank most likely.

Look at two little fishies Marine snow. Use just a little. It’s basically some food plus vitamin c.
Sponges like a large bacterial population.

The sponge may die. Yes.
But just keep an eye on it. You’ll se the sighms. Trust yourself.

If you didn’t get it , you will have lost the opportunity to own one and enjoy it.
Would you rather never enjoy it’s beauty like a bouquet of flowers or leave it on the self to die unappreciated.

Anyone can have a zoa. Pffttt.

My friend you’re not less than a war commander. I’m marching straight to the lfs, and get it right away.
Btw it’s a red ball sponge(a red rose sponge what the lfs calls it). What type of lighting and feeding patterns pls brief a little more.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend you’re not less than a war commander. I’m marching straight to the lfs, and get it right away.
Btw it’s a red ball sponge(a red rose sponge what the lfs calls it). What type of lighting and feeding patterns pls brief a little more.
Dunno.
Research it soldier.
I bought a blubber jelly on 45 min of internet search.
Best purchase ever

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno.
Research it soldier.
I bought a blubber jelly on 45 min of internet search.
Best purchase ever

Commander! I’ve already researched quite a few last night. I know they don’t really need lighting. But how’s your sponge placed, in a lighting, and do you feed it anything apart from marine snow

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Ball Sponge, is often referred to as Red Boring Sponge, and members of this genus are found in a wide variety of colors such as red, yellow, and orange.

The Red Ball Sponge requires a strong current and excellent water conditions.

All sponges, including the Red Ball Sponge will require some very special care to survive in the home aquarium. The most critical concern is that it never be exposed to the air. If it is, air becomes trapped in the matrix of channels that line the inside of its body. With air blocking the path for planktonic food to reach its cells, it will basically starve.

The Red Ball Sponge will require supplemental feeding with liquid plankton and other dissolved organic foods.

Sponges filter massive amounts of water every day, feeding on the microplankton. Many will develop calcium, silica or sponging structures to support their shape. Sponges need to be anchored in rockwork; they do not tolerate sandy anchoring substrates.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Ball Sponge, is often referred to as Red Boring Sponge, and members of this genus are found in a wide variety of colors such as red, yellow, and orange.

The Red Ball Sponge requires a strong current and excellent water conditions.

All sponges, including the Red Ball Sponge will require some very special care to survive in the home aquarium. The most critical concern is that it never be exposed to the air. If it is, air becomes trapped in the matrix of channels that line the inside of its body. With air blocking the path for planktonic food to reach its cells, it will basically starve.

The Red Ball Sponge will require supplemental feeding with liquid plankton and other dissolved organic foods.

Sponges filter massive amounts of water every day, feeding on the microplankton. Many will develop calcium, silica or sponging structures to support their shape. Sponges need to be anchored in rockwork; they do not tolerate sandy anchoring substrates.

Thanks bro. Yes I read this on Internet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back