Clam growing out of back of medium sized snail shell?

Gustav22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been watching what looks like a clam growing on the back of one of my snails for a couple months and today it came close to the glass and I watched it slowly open and close several times.

A couple questions:

Is this common at all?

Will this clam survive being totes around on a snail? Would it be better to sacrifice the snail for the good of keeping the clam in the same place?

How cool is this thing?

I’ve had this particular snail for about a year.

Thanks!
Kyle
26a7dbdb73fff9cb02a65d49f8a182fd.jpg

f6d7b70796375595a7726d1e1c65caf2.jpg

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super cool and it does look like a clam. Will it survive stuck to the snail? I don't think it will go long term, since snails often decide to hide for a while or switch shells and leave the old one behind.

If you want to give this a try and see what happens, I would take the snail out of the tank and carefully try to remove the clam from the snail's shell and place it on a bottle cap or something where the flow or other critters will move it or knock it over with some gravel or coarse sand, then put it back in the sand bed.

If you do decide to try this, please share your experience with us and maybe some pics.

While on the subject, I found this link of a clam farm project that has some pictures you can use as reference to yours. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Gustav22

Gustav22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks for the interest guys! For the moment I think I’ll leave the clam on the snail and keep up with putting phyto in the water. If it disappears for more than a few days I’ll start looking for it.

Any idea what kind of clam this is and how this could’ve happened?

Here’s a few more pictures from a couple weeks ago

8afe98ed805e32ed97b3abadc28d8e55.jpg
a03efae344c18048daa6e21a2c77e133.jpg

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bivalve of some sort. The survivability isn't that great. We would have them come in on new tridacna clams and they wouldn't survive very long so in that case I'd recommend you don't take the advice of gluing your snail down to a rock.

I instantly thought it was a bivalve before I see pictures, then the rigid patterned edges made me consider if it’s a clam!!!

That’s why I sent for the experts in yourself lol

A.

OP
OP
Gustav22

Gustav22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bivalve of some sort. The survivability isn't that great. We would have them come in on new tridacna clams and they wouldn't survive very long so in that case I'd recommend you don't take the advice of gluing your snail down to a rock.

Thanks for the information, I think this is one of the Mexican turbos so it should get real big. Perhaps the bivalve will keep up with it and eventually I’ll have a real big clam on a real big snail haha

Got a clip of it closing here

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a tridacna to be honest. But the species I'm unsure of. Snails can pick up all kinds of cool hitchhikers depending on where they are collected or kept. We've had some come in with porites before.
The glue it to a rock was a funny. Don't do that. But cool note it took a lot of rough treatment. Snails go in and out of water a lot. Its a hanging in there.

OP
OP
Gustav22

Gustav22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel dumb my friend. Upper left to the big one

You’re absolutely right, just took another look at it in the tank and there’s another just above the first bivalve on the other side of the shell, almost the same size as well so perhaps they attached themselves to the snail at the same time

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back