Clam growing out of tank?

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reef, I've had this squamosa clam for about 8 weeks in my quarantine and I've been battling pyramid snails there ;Inpain The thing is, I can't move the clam to the display before the pyramids go extinct, which will not happen for a few more weeks (or longer) while the clam is growing fast.

The shell width is about 10" and I only have a 13 gal quarantine, and the mantle is now touching the glass during the day. I have it on sand in a bowl (so that I can replace sand with hiding pyramids), but the mantle extends so well that it is pushing against the glass all the time. Is this fine as long as the shell itself isn't touching the glass?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, talk about some crazy dosing demands for such a small tank, unless you're doing water changes every day. That shouldn't be an issue, as long as light is strong enough. I'm more worried about how you're gonna get water everywhere when it decides to close up, my 10 inch derasa can splash water out of my 40 gallon sometimes.

OP
OP
C

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So the mantle touching glass is fine? I dose two part daily and do over 50% water change weekly. I think squamosa should be fine under ATI.
Well, the clam shot me in the face the moment it arrived ;Eggonface During the night it splashed water everywhere ... luckily the water didn't reach the lighting though I had to clean the floor all around the tank afterward. But that was weeks ago. Lately it's sort of chill and the squirts have been rather gentle (knock on wood).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back