Clam Hitchhiker - HOW???

Robg719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely baffled as to how this is in my tank. Its a year old, used dry rock when i cycled it and have never seen it before. And there is no way something this size (~1") snuck in on a frag plug.

Was an interesting find, at first thought it was one of hermits in a new shell. But then noticed it was moving like a snail and in a clam shell..

I'll assume its harmless?

IMG_5873.jpg
IMG_5866.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely baffled as to how this is in my tank. Its a year old, used dry rock when i cycled it and have never seen it before. And there is no way something this size (~1") snuck in on a frag plug.

Was an interesting find, at first thought it was one of hermits in a new shell. But then noticed it was moving like a snail and in a clam shell..

I'll assume its harmless?

IMG_5873.jpg
IMG_5866.jpg

Wow! I was expecting a small bivalve on the rock or something. How did that thing go unnoticed?!

Very cool.

Last edited:

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some ocean harvested torches, had them about a month and I pulled them out and dragged them into smaller colonies. Found a 2 inch clam between the heads and another small one beside it. I pitched the small one and dropped the big one in the tank to see if it was alive. Decided I’d look for my peppermint shrimp tonight and it was up and walking around! Very cool

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could easily have come in as a tiny little hitchhiker that you just didn't see before now. I had one many years ago that came in on a small coral. It was so small that without knowing exactly where it was it was impossible to see. Over the span of 6-8 years. it grew to become a ~4" frilled oyster. Sadly, I had tank "issues" and it perished. Otherwise I'm not too sure just how big it would have become.

Cool freebie!!!

Back