Clam Keepers- How would you determine when someone is ready for a clam?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about this. Obviously different species have different requirements, but broadly, say you met someone who said they wanted to buy a Tridacna sp. What would you ask them to ultimately feel confident they would be successful? As detailed or as broad as you want, but I feel like this might help some of us who aspire to keep a clam know when it would be ethical to purchase one. Thanks in advance!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my intermediate experience - when you have -
stable and in range inorganic chemistry (Ca Mg etc..)
controlled organic chemistry (N/P)
right substrate to the right species (derasa vs maxima)
confidence that PAR readings are > 120 at that substrate
and... ability - knowledge of spot feeding techniques for smaller specimens

that is what awaited for and have 5 of 5 specimens in 2 different tanks

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tell them, if they have done their own research, and they have confidence in their husbandry abilities, and they have a good record of keeping their animals alive, then go for it

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you feel confident enough to solve most of the problems that arise is reef keeping. Because that's what reef keeping is, right? Solving problems. If you lack the ability to observe common issues and you don't have a basic understanding of reef biology and chemistry, you're going to struggle no matter what you try to keep alive. Maturity of the system is a good approach, but most important is understanding the needs of that particular animal.
I would first tell that person to buy James Fatherree's latest book on clams, it's really the starting point to understanding these complex animals. Most will say maturity of the tank, but it really means you've spent some time dealing with issues and getting some experience under your belt. Clams are not beginner animals, so take your time and improve your problem solving capabilities and you're good to go.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME clams are easier than, say, SPS, so if you’re growing SPS, you’re fine for a clam. Alk, Ca, light is what they need. I’ve kept them for nearly 20 years. I think the problem most people run into nowadays is lack of light. Keeping your SPS happy at 250 PAR is going to cause maximas/croceas/noae’s to “mysteriously die” after 6 months (as they slowly starve to death).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME clams are easier than, say, SPS, so if you’re growing SPS, you’re fine for a clam. Alk, Ca, light is what they need. I’ve kept them for nearly 20 years. I think the problem most people run into nowadays is lack of light. Keeping your SPS happy at 250 PAR is going to cause maximas/croceas/noae’s to “mysteriously die” after 6 months (as they slowly starve to death).
Agreed, light is the first prerequisite for keeping clams. That’s why I always tell people to treat clams as if they all come from shallow waters and light them accordingly. Whenever I see someone post about certain species as being “low light” I kinda cringe a little. To me, that’s the wrong way of thinking about their care. All of the clams that we keep in the hobby are found in shallow water, while a certain number of those species are found in deeper water, they should all be kept as if they come from shallow water. It makes keeping them a lot easier. Don’t get me started on when people call soft corals low light animals. :rolleyes:

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a stable, somewhat mature system you will be fine

Agree. My biota clam is one of the oldest critters in my system. It happily survived for a year in my 20 gallon w/ no ATO, refugium or skimmer and then went into my big tank after it had only been running approximately a month. I have had some stock that is as hard to keep alive as advertised, the clam has not been

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i had my par just checked ita's 250 at the four corners and 280 on the left half the tank right side it was 290 on the right side because i have a bar across the center of the 75 g tank i hope to get my dosser hooked up by weeks end

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back