Clam leaving residue on glass

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time the clam moves toward the front of the tank pretty much touching the glass it leaves a white residue on the glass. I'll move the clam back and it will scoot it self back to the glass. I think it gets more light since a monti shades it a Bit.
The white residue is super hard to scrape off even by hand and a razor. It usually takes 5 days till it start growing again. Really weird, I'm thinking its some calcium growth on the glass from the clam sucking down so much calcium. Ha. Stupid guess but I No idea.
36f29a9a1eb425ef8d39e9e7ba57e1b7.jpg
eff67fc0b8d70afcd60b6a20a9eef006.jpg
6d514ec0be2ba9c97840c9190ab96575.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a cyphastrea coral on the left. The film on the glass is from the underside of the mantle. Use a blade or scraper to remove. The cyphastrea looks similar to "candyland" cyphastrea.

OP
OP
sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC reef is correct, the one on the left is JF candy land cyphastrea.

I use a razor blast but it's come right back and just in front of the clam. It's also really really hard to get off. Coralline algae doesn't compare.

OP
OP
sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I have a bunch of coral TouchIng it. Chalice. Zoa. Monti. Haha. There is even a stupid poccilopora sps growing on its shell
It's always open and big. I've have it for little over a year. Started really small.

Didn't know they grew so fast.
This is from July 20th.

b0b92ba28f64a3f031f3d867c3e82f16.png

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I read somewhere in James article about clams immune to corals sting, I got clam that Aiptasia grow right under it mantle and the clam seem not getting any sting effect and its open wide to cover the Aiptasia like its worry for the little thing having too much sun batch and get tan....

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite interesting.
Hmm.
It's like a slime coat. It seemed like it was just the underside though. I was constantly trying to move him away from the glass because it was a pain to clean but he was so big. I'd move him then he'd go right back to his happy spot. Lol. The tank doesn't look right without him.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a slime coat. I was constantly trying to move him away from the glass because it was a pain to clean but he was so big. I'd move him then he'd go right back to his happy spot. Lol. The tank doesn't look right without him though.
I wonder what that is. You'd think we'd notice it with any clam in most placements.

OP
OP
sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a slime coat. It seemed like it was just the underside though. I was constantly trying to move him away from the glass because it was a pain to clean but he was so big. I'd move him then he'd go right back to his happy spot. Lol. The tank doesn't look right without him.

Mine does the same. I'll move it and the next day it will be back to its spot. Ha. I can't imagine the tank without it now.
I got another maxima as well. Hopefully gets this big.

It's weird because the glass underneath Doesn't have that residue. It's also sitting right on the glass.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same. I'll move it and the next day it will be back to its spot. Ha. I can't imagine the tank without it now.
I got another maxima as well. Hopefully gets this big.

It's weird because the glass underneath Doesn't have that residue. It's also sitting right on the glass.
Yep, just the underside of the mantle leaves that residue.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm very surprised how fast this deresa grew.
Guessing Maximas grow much slower.
☹️
hahaha yeah!
I got babies Derasa and Maxima same size go into my tank same day, 2 months later the Maxima show a new set of scute but size pretty much look same while the Derasa already more than half inch longer than the Maxima :) I sold the Derasa because I knew it will out grow my tank in a rush of time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back