Clam owners, have you ever done this?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at my deresa for quite some time (Every time I turn around - I havent left my computer most of the day because of this guy) I've had a thought and wondered if anyone else has done it. I'd love to attempt it in the future in a 3' or my current 4' tank with the deresa. Has anyone on here ever had one of the larger clams (Gigas, Maxima, Hippopus, Squamosa, Deresa) as the main rock structure of their tank?
I know it sounds weird at first but let me explain, Have you ever had the giant clam as the main focal point of the rockwork and had that as the main structure with maybe 1-2 other rock "piles" around it?
1649617166627.png

something like this however with the clam actually as part of the rockwork and maybe some other less impressive coral around it. If so, do you have any photos of it? heres what I mean in the wild (A wild gigas);
1649617435814.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m used to mine
I do check mantle daily
I know a couple persons with clam the size of a basketball who use clam as centerpiece

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done that. I did have my squammie as the center piece before the dreaded red foot conch ate it. But it was on the tank bottom. Not sure I have a good picture.

Attachments

• DSC_3651.JPG
    DSC_3651.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miss that clam. Had it as 2" baby. Dumb conch.
I guess I had better be careful with conchs then - thanks for the warning! I'll stick to strawberry conchs to make sure. That squamosa was beautiful, I've read and seen how the larger clams can host all types of microfauna, even fish. Did the squamosa ever do that sort of stuff for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it's kind of hard for a large derasa clam not to be a focal point haha. Can't wait for mine to grow a bit more.
I know right! Especially if you get one with excellent colours. Mine sits in the corner of my max nano for now, hopefully once he grows I'll have a tank where it doesnt get preyed on by a jade wrasse or CBB.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back