Clams are acting weird…pinched mantle syndrome?

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two clams about a month ago, they appeared healthy, passed my inspection. One had a little bit of pinched mantle and wouldn’t open, the other looked great. I did a ro/di dip for 30min with both about a week later because one had a spot of mantle that wouldn’t fill extend.

the one they looked great now has a little bit of mantle retraction. The other one hasnt fully opened for about a week.
I’ve tried moving him, no luck. I only have one fire shrimp, could he be bugging them? I never see him harass them. No snails or pests on the shells.

my parameters are sg 1.0245, N 0, P 0, kH 9.5, ph 8.2, run about 10 LED hrs at 200 par where they sit. The clams sit at 24 in deep on sand next to rock, lights are 12in off water. Feeding is multiple times a day with coral food broadcast in small amounts, 3x week.

Any ideas? I really enjoy clams, I hate to see them unhappy.

1637714581116.jpeg

1637714629548.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 par is very little IMO. They are also very slow to acclimate, moving them touching them really stresses them out.

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll move them up/bump the lights if they don’t get better in a week or so. They’ve only been moved 2 times in 4-5 weeks

I’vee had clams before, no issues at all, even with the low end of par.

I’ve never seen them do this with their mantles before. I guess I’ll just wait.

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it might be pinched mantle do a 35min rodi water bath for 35mins, try and have the water same temp as the display....i had to do that to my clam prob 5 times to get rid of pinched mantle

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in lower par and they do good ime. Mines at the bottom of a 65 about 100 to 150 par at best and fully open and happy. I noticed when one of mine started to take a dive it retracted like that for a couple weeks and never recovered. The other 3 around it were/are fine. I like to get mine set and leave them. Maybe something fell/crawled into it?

OP
OP
forestsofkelp

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one of them was found dead this morning. Gaping with no response. That was a rapid decline. I inspected it, no visible pests. Real bummer. I hope the other does ok.

they arrived healthy from wwc. So weird. I’ve kept clams before, they were very easy. It’s
I've had them in lower par and they do good ime. Mines at the bottom of a 65 about 100 to 150 par at best and fully open and happy. I noticed when one of mine started to take a dive it retracted like that for a couple weeks and never recovered. The other 3 around it were/are fine. I like to get mine set and leave them. Maybe something fell/crawled into it?

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mine acted weird for a week then decided not to come out fully and died shortly after. It was the same for me. Had to be 8 to 10 inches big too. Sucked

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it might be pinched mantle do a 35min rodi water bath for 35mins, try and have the water same temp as the display....i had to do that to my clam prob 5 times to get rid of pinched mantle
Make sure your pH for the dip is similar to tank water if you can

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back