Clarisea New Fleece Roll Causes Skimmer To Overflow

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

Is anyone on here running into issue with Clarisea fleece causing the protein skimmer to overflow. I had been running for years on Theiling Rollermat fleece without any issues. But last year I updated my tank and I went with Clarisea SK5000. Everytime I changed to a new roll the protein skimmer went nuts to overflow.

I did so Google searches and found a thread on ultimate reef.net that described this issue but the thread was 3 years ago.

https://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/skimmer-overflowing-with-clarisea.844080/page-2

I thought if there are issues with the materials the company would fix them by now.

Any thoughts or comments if you run into this issue?

OP
OP
N

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long does it overflow for after you change rolls?
It goes for couple hours. I guess whatever in the fleece material causes the overflow to happen. The previous new roll it overflowed and dropped my 150G salinity from 1.026 to 1.023. I plumped my skimmer drain line to drain directly into the drain pipe of my sink. So the heck of it I couldn't figure out why my salinity dropped that much until today after I changed a new roll that was when I discovered all the water just kept draining to the drain pipe.

Before using these Clarisea fleece I used the Theiling Rollermat fleece and I cut it to fit the Clarisea but unfortunately BRS doesn't carry it anymore. That fleece Brand never had issue like the Clarisea brand.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes for couple hours. I guess whatever in the fleece material causes the overflow to happen. The previous new roll it overflowed and dropped my 150G salinity from 1.026 to 1.023. I plumped my skimmer drain line to drain directly into the drain pipe of my sink. So the heck of it I couldn't figure out why my salinity dropped that much until today after I changed a new roll that was when I discovered all the water just kept draining to the drain pipe.

Before using these Clarisea fleece I used the Theiling Rollermat fleece and I cut it to fit the Clarisea but unfortunately BRS doesn't carry it anymore. That fleece Brand never had issue like the Clarisea brand.
That's just bizarre. Have you tried turning the skimmer off for a few hours after changing out to a new roll - or does that not make any difference?

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a similar issue. My skimmer has been going nuts ever since the roll was changed over a week ago. I've been working on the skimmer - adjusting water outflow, air intake, and physically raising it. Nothing works. Do I have a bad roll of filter paper?

bayarea_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the roll does make the skimmer go a bit nuts for a few hours until the roll gets gunked up with detritus and then it starts rolling just a bit of the new fleece so it doesn't over flow.

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the roll does make the skimmer go a bit nuts for a few hours until the roll gets gunked up with detritus and then it starts rolling just a bit of the new fleece so it doesn't over flow.
Thanks - I had a quick response from inquiry with manufacturer (D-D) they indicated that the surfactant on the paper might be the cause, and that it should settle down as it gets wet and small amounts of new roll are spooled out. In my case I think my usage rate is too high and I may have to re-configure the system a bit (get it higher in sump).

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I had a quick response from inquiry with manufacturer (D-D) they indicated that the surfactant on the paper might be the cause, and that it should settle down as it gets wet and small amounts of new roll are spooled out. In my case I think my usage rate is too high and I may have to re-configure the system a bit (get it higher in sump).
This is very helpful. I just changed out my roll and my skimmer started going nuts. This happened in the past and I never thought it would have been then filter. I thought it was the skimmer and shut it down for awhile. Why is there a surfactant on the new roll in the first place?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back