Clarisea SK-5000 Plumbing Questions

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on my first tank and at first I was going the Filter Sock Route but realized how nice it would be to not change socks on a weekly basis.

Tank is a 40 Gallon Breeder.

Currently looking at the Clarisea Sk-5000 as an option. Most videos I see have it plumbed from the Main Line Drain. When I read the mounting and installation options on BRS, which kinda reads like a Dr.Seuss Book, I see that it can be freestanding.

So does it require to be plumbed off the Mainline Drain? Only asking because I don't like the idea of only 1 drain feeding into and the other drain overflowing with no mechanical filtration.

Mounting & Installation Options:

• Hang it on the back, front or sides of the most sumps.
  • Freestanding on the base of a shallow sump with a water level below 200mm.
  • Freestanding it on a box or shelf in deeper sumps.
  • Feed it from the front or from the back.
  • Feed water from the top, side or at an angle.
  • Feed it with a utility pump

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing off the main drain line is probably the easiest and how these types of rollers are designed to be used. You can move the inlet to either side and rotate it if necessary. You could route the drains together before the roller, but then you have the chance of that getting clogged. The second drain is usually just a trickle or no flow at all, so I don't worry about a little missing the filter. If anything it could be a positive as filter rollers seem to be known for filtering too well.

Feeding with a pump is less effective as most of your water won't be forced to go in it. I would only do this if there was no way to plumb it from the main drain. The Theiling compact is designed better for feed pump install in my opinion.

Are you sure you would want the SK-5000 for a 40b? The SK-3000 or the Theiling compact are both smaller and still more than enough for that size tank.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing off the main drain line is probably the easiest and how these types of rollers are designed to be used. You can move the inlet to either side and rotate it if necessary. You could route the drains together before the roller, but then you have the chance of that getting clogged. The second drain is usually just a trickle or no flow at all, so I don't worry about a little missing the filter. If anything it could be a positive as filter rollers seem to be known for filtering too well.

Feeding with a pump is less effective as most of your water won't be forced to go in it. I would only do this if there was no way to plumb it from the main drain. The Theiling compact is designed better for feed pump install in my opinion.

Are you sure you would want the SK-5000 for a 40b? The SK-3000 or the Theiling compact are both smaller and still more than enough for that size tank.

Awesome information.

I didn't even think about scaling down to the SK-3000. I saw the Theiling and know it's popular. I just don't like the over head plumbing design on it. So it looks like I will go with the SK-3000 and plumb it.

Thank you for the feedback.

Just saw this......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn4x14o0Sqk

Granted its overkill for what I would need but I do like the overflow design into a bulkhead that feeds into Filter Roller. Do you believe this would still be just as functional?

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An overflow design into the filter is how most sumps deal with filter socks and would avoid the issue of the second drain not going to the roller. I think any pre-made sump designed for filter rollers would be as big or bigger than your tank itself and not really worth it though.

Back