Clarisea SK5000 fleece micron size 20 or 32?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the SK5000 and noticed that the micron size of the fleece noted on the filter details page is 32 micron. But all the replacement rolls I have seen are only 20 micron. The max flow rate is listed at 1320 GPH. Since that's also on the filter details page I assume that flow rate is if your using the 32 micron fleece. So what would the flow rate be using the 20 micron fleece? And is there 32 micron fleece available somewhere? Most filter socks being replaced by roller filters are 200 or 100 micron. 20 micron seems awful small and would most likely shorten the life of the fleece.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the manufacturer website:
  • flow rate: up to 5,000 l/h (1320 US gph)
  • Particle size removal: down to 20 microns
  • Maximum submerged water depth: 20cm (8”)
  • Hang-on bracket height adjustment: up to 12cm (4”)
  • Maximum sump glass thickness for hang on bracket: 13mm (1/2")
  • Recommended aquarium size at 5 x tank turn over (5000l/hr) = 1000lt
  • Recommended aquarium size at 4 x tank turn over (5000l/hr) = 1250lt
  • Inlet connection: 32mm
  • Filter fleece: 15cm (6”) width – length 25m (82ft)

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I have this unit and think it is great. Have noticed a significant increase is water clarity and a drop in PO4. Am generally skeptical of new and different things but not with this one.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your input and mini review. From my research on roller filters, I have concluded that the Clarisea does offer the best overall product. My questions not answered though regarding the fleece. I use 50 micron filter material in my sump now and I have to clean it every other day. I'm just a little concerned that 20 micron fleece material might get used up too quickly in my system. At $29 a roll, I would want three to four weeks out of roll of fleece to keep it affordable. I think 32 micron fleece would work if it's available.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 187 and it lasts about 4- 4.5 weeks after the first one, which is more cleaning out accumulated detritus to start off. I think the first was 3 1/2 weeks.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your input and mini review. From my research on roller filters, I have concluded that the Clarisea does offer the best overall product. My questions not answered though regarding the fleece. I use 50 micron filter material in my sump now and I have to clean it every other day. I'm just a little concerned that 20 micron fleece material might get used up too quickly in my system. At $29 a roll, I would want three to four weeks out of roll of fleece to keep it affordable. I think 32 micron fleece would work if it's available.
At the current rate of use I would expect the first roll to last 5 to 6 weeks at a minimum. I know that at one time someone had posted an alternative source from Amazon at a much lower price but have not been able to find it so far.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can “pre clean” water with 20 micron pad prior to use to save on first roll of fleece. I’d still like to know if there is 32 micron fleece available. Hoping Tony will chime in here.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but thought it worth mentioning.

As far as I can see, Clarisea do not state the micron size, they say the fleece will go down to 20 microns, that is not the same as saying the fleece is 20 microns, they explain that a used fleece will remove smaller and smaller particles as it removes the detritus, getting down to 20 microns.

The starting micron size I can not find a reference to what that is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back