Clarity on Tropic Marin Part C

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting note on the cyno. I'm seeing that in my tank but never associated to TM AFR.

Yeah,
The AFR has some kind of natural carbon doing element within it, that can fuel cyano.

@najer
Had the same cyano issue as well.

Sidebar:
Loving these A360X's!!!

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
The AFR has some kind of natural carbon doing element within it, that can fuel cyano.

@najer
Had the same cyano issue as well.

Sidebar:
Loving these A360X's!!!
Many people miss the point that with this product it is necessary to revise the import / export N / F. There is always a carbon atom in this chain of decomposition of this product from start to finish.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people miss the point that with this product it is necessary to revise the import / export N / F

Well,
My reef hates to be carbon dosed, and I don't need to carbon dose for high nutrient levels.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of tanks and a use a lot of AFSW. and additives. Cost and consumables matter a lot!

No magic elixir then, still gotta watch and adjust for mg and salinity ..... Now I’m already at 4 Dosers: ALK, CA, Part-C and NoPox ? (TBD)
I’d put a 5th doser if I thought it alleviate H2O changes a lil and keep salinity and alk, Ca & mg nice tidy and stable .... more automation I know

Would the holy grail be using Kalkwasser regardless of your current replenishment strategy; then ADD in 3 part and never take the Kalkwasser offline?
I’m currently cheating with a lil Kalk in the top off, but shouldn’t there be a way to calculate a set amount of saturate then use your ATO with RO/DI in a separate top off ? this was suggested to me in another thread and I’ve mentioned it also. Will using kalkwasser in part offset some of the 3 part chemistry negatives even in a high demand SPS dom?

for instance: My tank is in recovery mode now but at some point, hopefully soon, my tank will graduate from Kalk to 2 part. I’m thinking of dosing saturated Kalk and BRS 2pt AND Part-C.

Complex perhaps, but with a 210 & 150 water changes sometimes are cheaper I think

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone actually seen improvement in coral growth/coloration using TI ropic Marin balling method?

Not really without dosing TM K and A trace elements.

But my personal preference would be to use the Red Sea Colors Program.

With TM K and A you really have to guesstimate their dose, but with the Red Sea Colors Program, you have clear instructions to how much to dose per your reef's daily calcium intake.

If you perform weekly water changes then TM or AF full balling could be a waste of time and money.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The posts on adding Part C at the sum of Parts A and Part B caught me off guard since their past recommendation was to dose it at the same amount of each part. I then watched the new video and see that they changed the mixing directions of Part C from 7 1/2 cups (or 168g) to 4 cups per gallon.

If I understand, this was based upon discussion with TM and that it won't mix correctly at the higher concentration?

I think this is important to note so those that have it mixed at the old concentration don't start doubling the dose.

Anyone see any concern with continued use at the old recommended concentration? I don't think I have any, it mixed clear.

Also for me 7 cups measured out to the 168g.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The posts on adding Part C at the sum of Parts A and Part B caught me off guard since their past recommendation was to dose it at the same amount of each part. I then watched the new video and see that they changed the mixing directions of Part C from 7 1/2 cups (or 168g) to 4 cups per gallon.

If I understand, this was based upon discussion with TM and that it won't mix correctly at the higher concentration?

I think this is important to note so those that have it mixed at the old concentration don't start doubling the dose.

Anyone see any concern with continued use at the old recommended concentration? I don't think I have any, it mixed clear.

Yep,
Here's the video that states the different amount of scopes for all three parts, per 1 gallon of RO/DI

Lou also states to dose part c the lower dose of a or b. He's also clear what part c is designed to do and why you dose K and A trace elements.

Wonder if their liquid form of part c is still higher in concentration

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,
Here's the video that states the different amount of scopes for all three parts, per 1 gallon of RO/DI

Lou also states to dose part c the lower dose of a or b. He's also clear what part c is designed to do and why you dose K and A trace elements.

Wonder if their liquid form of part c is still higher in concentration

Yes, thats for the balling method but for BRS 2 part the part C dose is 2x what you dose for alkalinity at a concentration of 4 scoops per gallon. Wondering if you can dose part C weekly....

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, thats for the balling method but for BRS 2 part the part C dose is 2x what you dose for alkalinity at a concentration of 4 scoops per gallon. Wondering if you can dose part C weekly....
yup I caught that difference myself .... some clarity or definitive/agreed process with this stuff is in order...The BRS team: I give em credit for flexibility but now I’m confused. I was currently dosing Part-C with BRS 2pt in equal daily doses, but apparently thats changed. And as stated with regular “meaningful” water changes, whats the goal then.

What goals & variables are we dealing with here: Stability, Cost, complexity/difficulty, NSW parameters? Which has priority/precedence? All of us will have different goals & priorities
For me with 500g’s in tanks cost is weighing in, now I’m wondering the ROI on a Ca reactor. ....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A specific question was asked by a person. There was a definite answer to this question.

Who answered it?

" Has anyone actually seen improvement in coral growth/coloration using Tropic Marin balling method? "

You said fine reefs are using it, not that using it resulted in improvement. Those are answers to very different questions.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef supplement business is a lot like the pest control business. "you can't prove it doesn't work". Snake oil comes in all shapes and sizes. Chemistry or no chemistry.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who answered it?

" Has anyone actually seen improvement in coral growth/coloration using Tropic Marin balling method? "

You said fine reefs are using it, not that using it resulted in improvement. Those are answers to very different questions.
What time frame would you put after switching to a different method to see the changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time frame would you put after switching to a different method to see the changes?

A week or less, for most kinds of changes, seems reasonable. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then probably no one will answer Jet915's message. :)

Perhaps. That is what makes understanding what is truly beneficial and what is just wasted effort so hard. Anything longer than a week or so leaves the change open to all sorts of other causes. Very few reefers do carefully controlled husbandry, never changing anything.

In some cases, effects are very fast and clear. Many folks report sudden improvements with various procedures, although i suspect many are a placebo effect.

.When dosing iron, some folks see the effect clearly within 24 h. The owner of Reef Central added iron to his system at my recommendation, and his macroalgae greened up in less than a day.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then probably no one will answer Jet915's message. :)

Yeah, that's ok. Im leaning towards getting an ICP and maybe dosing A and K into my 2 part and leaving out Part C. Im getting pretty good coral growth but some of my higher end tenuis are growing really slow, color is bland and polyp extension is not great so looking to make a few tweaks....

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's ok. Im leaning towards getting an ICP and maybe dosing A and K into my 2 part and leaving out Part C. Im getting pretty good coral growth but some of my higher end tenuis are growing really slow, color is bland and polyp extension is not great so looking to make a few tweaks....

@Randy Holmes-Farley or Tropic Marin,
Could at least part of the salinity issue be offset by dosing the maximum amount of saturated kalkwasser 1st, then performing whatever 2,3 or 4 part magic you want based on that baseline? Even if the saturated kalk can’t keep up with demand, why not dose some amount less than your daily min evap rate as a matter of course? Could using simpler cheaper kalk save on these other supplements?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back