Clarkii Clown with Mystery Disease

sunnysophie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here.

I have a female clarkii clownfish that has been sick for a LONG time now. It’s been at least 1.5-2 months of symptoms with no serious development. I called the LFS and they were not helpful, I’m surprised she’s still alive.

She floats near the top, has bright red gills, and does not eat much (it’s as if she can’t see or catch the food, during the rare attempts).

I have done multiple freshwater dips over the last couple of weeks, and dosed with a bacterial and fungal medicine, which almost seemed to worsen her problems.
Freshwater dip shows no mucus, no external flukes or parasites, nothing flushed from the gills. She’s just sick.

I have had her since July, so it is not a new fish and my tank has been running since June 2021.

I moved everyone to a 40 gallon in January. None of my other fish are affected, not even the paired male clownfish.

Parameters came back stable and “normal”, I saw the test results this morning but I can’t find my paper right now.

I have pictures but I would appreciate some help trying to learn how to link them to the chat. Sorry!

OP
OP
sunnysophie

sunnysophie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have attached multiple pictures to this reply!
I am uploading videos to YouTube for more information as well, will link when they process.

45C98A79-95E1-4C70-8D39-29772D93FB4A.jpeg BBEF7D7C-DCFA-408B-AC13-EB5409D3E72D.jpeg A6DD1AD4-ADE7-4895-B554-C09394A990F7.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am uploading videos to YouTube for more information as well, will link when they process.

45C98A79-95E1-4C70-8D39-29772D93FB4A.jpeg BBEF7D7C-DCFA-408B-AC13-EB5409D3E72D.jpeg A6DD1AD4-ADE7-4895-B554-C09394A990F7.jpeg

Looks like a bacterial Gill disease. Seachem kanaplex administered in a quarantine tank is best bet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I agree, I would try a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. What have you used so far?

There is another possibility - that this is developmental/genetic. We see this a lot in tank raised clowns - as they mature, you start to see deformities. In this case, if the gill covers are deformed, then they cannot ventilate properly. See how the gills are bright red? That means the fish doesn't have anemia. I don't see any white spots/eroded areas on the gills that would be an indication of disease. The bright red color however, could be the fish compensating for lack of water flow due to gill cover deformities.....

Jay

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I agree, I would try a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. What have you used so far?

There is another possibility - that this is developmental/genetic. We see this a lot in tank raised clowns - as they mature, you start to see deformities. In this case, if the gill covers are deformed, then they cannot ventilate properly. See how the gills are bright red? That means the fish doesn't have anemia. I don't see any white spots/eroded areas on the gills that would be an indication of disease. The bright red color however, could be the fish compensating for lack of water flow due to gill cover deformities.....

Jay
I would lean towards this as well. Those gill covers are curved out. This is genetic, but I've also seen it in fish exposed to elevated ammonia levels for extended periods of time. Those red gills look like healthy gills to me, just the gill covers are curled.

I would attribute the overall behavior of the fish to some type of infection in the swimbladder. Whether it is a myxozoan or bacterial (probably the latter with it being a captive bred fish).

OP
OP
sunnysophie

sunnysophie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Thank you so much for the reply! I had been doing dips of Imagitarium bacterial remedy that I had on hand, but I will be setting up a true QT and dosing with the suggested Seachem.

Edit: the Imagitarium brand claims to be a “natural remedy”, so potentially useless if not additionally irritating. It smells like a minty essential oil mix. I’ll get the real deal!

OP
OP
sunnysophie

sunnysophie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean towards this as well. Those gill covers are curved out. This is genetic, but I've also seen it in fish exposed to elevated ammonia levels for extended periods of time. Those red gills look like healthy gills to me, just the gill covers are curled.

I would attribute the overall behavior of the fish to some type of infection in the swimbladder. Whether it is a myxozoan or bacterial (probably the latter with it being a captive bred fish).
Thank you! I’m not sure if I can be relieved that it is a genetic issue with the gills, but I’m going to buy some of the Seachem Kanaplex that was suggested earlier. I deeply appreciate the help, and hope to give her some relief soon!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back