Clarkii Clownfish jumped off

Airspy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me understand why my Blip jumped of the fish tank.
I’ve had my tank running for 2 months and a half and without any problems.
Yesterday, July 30th I did my weekly water check and parameters were:

Phosphate 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

PH 8.2

Calcium 420, 21 drops

Carbonate hardness 12, 12 drops

salinity 1.025

Today when I arrived from work, I was looking in my fish tank and noticed my domino damsels in the brown carpet anenome.
My clarki clownfish would always be extremely territorial with it so I started looking for him.
That’s when I found him on the floor.
After bawling my eyes out, I began to check my water parameters

Phosphate 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

PH 8.2

Calcium 440, 22 drops

Carbonate hardness 10 drops

salinity 1.025

I have 2 domino damselfish, one lawnmower blenny and one Lightning maroon clownfish along with a 2 emerald crabs, 3 blue eyed hermit crabs, one sea conch, a sea cucumber, and 2 snails with 3 anemones. Everything seems to be fine. Can someone please see the photos to see if there’s something I missed.

0BA32BD0-1690-4AED-9ACB-01B8AA545505.jpeg 82712D99-C4E2-459D-B082-EFEF736ECBE0.jpeg 627E6C8B-18FA-4F50-A807-0CCBB31F1C1D.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly aggression from domino damsels. However, it may have just been spooked (which is what I am mainly thinking). Mesh lids are a must from my experience. Sorry to hear about your little fish friend :(
I'm with the Domino damsel aggro. They are outright MEAN fish. Had a pair that was evil, harassed a male tomato clown to death (which is mean in its own right). Once the dominos establish territory, all bets are off.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly aggression from domino damsels. However, it may have just been spooked (which is what I am mainly thinking). Mesh lids are a must from my experience. Sorry to hear about your little fish friend :(
^ Basically this.

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup no lid so sometimes fish get spooked and if no lid can just jump straight out pffft
As mentioned mesh lids can be very cheap and an extra piece off protection if fish decide to jump for whatever reason that maybe.
Not seen your aquascape but for me,I wanted an nsa ( negative space aquascape) but then decided it may well look good for my eyes but not so good for the fish,plus as corals grow in and get mature won't see much off aquascape anymore anyway
But for me the aquascape needs to have lots off swim throughs,over hangs,under hangs,caves and be able for fish to lose sight off each other so if a fish getting bullied it can swim out sight of fish that bullying or go to safety in a cave, and also saltwater fish as a general rule are more aggressive,so lots off places needed so can go for safety but also sleeping quarters for all and adequate for each fish,like some be happy in a cave, my blennies back up in the tiniest off holes in my rock so can only see their heads and wonder how the hell it reverse into that hole lol.
So if not got rock scape suitable for each fish to have its own territory or hiding spots if getting chased etc or sleeping quarters etc then maybe fish jumped for this reason or part off the reason maybe,as the aquascape is for the fish/livestock as we own the tank but its the fishes home so we need make it comfortable as possible for them,but could just simply got spooked and jumped so a diy mesh lid from local hardware store and make one or a ready made lid from a lfs or some good quality but expensive custom made acrylic lid manufacturers.

Good luck and hope you don't get anymore jumpers again.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the Domino damsel aggro. They are outright MEAN fish. Had a pair that was evil, harassed a male tomato clown to death (which is mean in its own right). Once the dominos establish territory, all bets are off.

I wouldn't say mean but rather highly territorial. Since both them and clowns use anemones, it wouldn't surprise me to see some fierce fighting

Upvote 0

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say mean but rather highly territorial. Since both them and clowns use anemones, it wouldn't surprise me to see some fierce fighting
Lol. They were hellraisers in my case. Spawning pair didn't help either. Cool fish, but they entirely owned a 50g cube! Total homewrecker behavior!

IMG_20200827_171544.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Airspy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first introduced my clarki he would immediately fend them off but I get they got the best of him.
I bought a glass lid to prevent this. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Airspy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup no lid so sometimes fish get spooked and if no lid can just jump straight out pffft
As mentioned mesh lids can be very cheap and an extra piece off protection if fish decide to jump for whatever reason that maybe.
Not seen your aquascape but for me,I wanted an nsa ( negative space aquascape) but then decided it may well look good for my eyes but not so good for the fish,plus as corals grow in and get mature won't see much off aquascape anymore anyway
But for me the aquascape needs to have lots off swim throughs,over hangs,under hangs,caves and be able for fish to lose sight off each other so if a fish getting bullied it can swim out sight of fish that bullying or go to safety in a cave, and also saltwater fish as a general rule are more aggressive,so lots off places needed so can go for safety but also sleeping quarters for all and adequate for each fish,like some be happy in a cave, my blennies back up in the tiniest off holes in my rock so can only see their heads and wonder how the hell it reverse into that hole lol.
So if not got rock scape suitable for each fish to have its own territory or hiding spots if getting chased etc or sleeping quarters etc then maybe fish jumped for this reason or part off the reason maybe,as the aquascape is for the fish/livestock as we own the tank but its the fishes home so we need make it comfortable as possible for them,but could just simply got spooked and jumped so a diy mesh lid from local hardware store and make one or a ready made lid from a lfs or some good quality but expensive custom made acrylic lid manufacturers.

Good luck and hope you don't get anymore jumpers again.
I bought a few more pounds of rocks and placed them in. Would you say this aqua scape is better than I had it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Airspy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed it but always saw that he would fend them off, I should’ve bought a lid sooner. Thank you

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few more pounds of rocks and placed them in. Would you say this aqua scape is better than I had it.
Yeah imo the more rocks you added gives more habitat fir the fish,and also if want higher light loving corals, you closer to the lights as went higher

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All fish (except seahorses) can jump when startled, so a lid is needed for a tank that has anything other than seahorses. Even shrimp can jump if sufficiently frightened- I once lost an urocaridella cleaner shrimp to forgetting to put the lid back on the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Airspy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah imo the more rocks you added gives more habitat fir the fish,and also if want higher light loving corals, you closer to the lights as went higher
If you don’t mind , which set of lights do you recommend for my 40 gallon?

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind , which set of lights do you recommend for my 40 gallon?
So sorry can't really help you much there unfortunately.
Apart from say make a plan off what corals you got now and what corals you wish/plan to get in future and work out if they high light or low light loving corals,and what par/intensity advised then decide your budget off what you want to spend then as look each off your options,see if them lights will give you it if use one or multiple.
With softies and some lps,alot of reef lights will do the job,but if wanting sps,these generally need more intensity .
So which lights to use is very open ended question.
Hopefully someone with more experience using lights would do you better than me .
Yeah I could just say buy some radion xr15 x2 or xr30's or couple off Kessil pucks or some fancy dancy £3000 lights.
But so many options so you need decide many things like do you want shimmer,do you want more natural light,do you prefer led,mh,t5's, want more bluer fluorescent looking corals,so so many factors to consider.
Have you watched any brs/tidal gardens /reef builders videos on lights? If not that's a good place to start and get some good info on what colour lights bring out the best in certain colour corals and give more pop or more natural colours etc.
Do you want softies,lps,or sps dominated tank or a mixed reef or one side sps and one side softies
These are all questions in my opinion I would be asking myself before looking into then deciding which lights to get.
Sorry can't just recomend x brand of light for you.

Good luck

Upvote 0

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me understand why my Blip jumped of the fish tank.
I’ve had my tank running for 2 months and a half and without any problems.
Yesterday, July 30th I did my weekly water check and parameters were:

Phosphate 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

PH 8.2

Calcium 420, 21 drops

Carbonate hardness 12, 12 drops

salinity 1.025

Today when I arrived from work, I was looking in my fish tank and noticed my domino damsels in the brown carpet anenome.
My clarki clownfish would always be extremely territorial with it so I started looking for him.
That’s when I found him on the floor.
After bawling my eyes out, I began to check my water parameters

Phosphate 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

PH 8.2

Calcium 440, 22 drops

Carbonate hardness 10 drops

salinity 1.025

I have 2 domino damselfish, one lawnmower blenny and one Lightning maroon clownfish along with a 2 emerald crabs, 3 blue eyed hermit crabs, one sea conch, a sea cucumber, and 2 snails with 3 anemones. Everything seems to be fine. Can someone please see the photos to see if there’s something I missed.

0BA32BD0-1690-4AED-9ACB-01B8AA545505.jpeg 82712D99-C4E2-459D-B082-EFEF736ECBE0.jpeg 627E6C8B-18FA-4F50-A807-0CCBB31F1C1D.jpeg
1. I'm sorry about your clownfish :(

2. Unrelated to your clarkii issue (which has already been "solved" or smartly guessed by other users), it seems that your nitrates are very low. It's best to avoid 0 nitrates, and it looks like your alk dropped a bit rapidly in between July 30 and after your clarkii kicked the bucket. Alkalinity is best when maintained consistent so as to save the tank from any unwelcome and unwarranted changes to adapt to. I suggest you keep monitoring your alkalinity. How much do you feed? How often? You may need to increase feeding to raise nitrates. Best of luck. Damsels are real nasty, I'm sorry again.

Upvote 0
Back