Clay Based Substrate?

Hammyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am very new to keeping a saltwater tank, I used to keep freshwater fishes in this tank and filter(32.5gal and 307 fluval tank/filter if it matters). Moved and haven't touched the tank for 2-3 weeks. Filled it with water and spontaneously bought some live and life rocks from.

The substrate I currently have is the seachem flourite black with a small patch of new sand in the middle.
Should I remove all of them and replace with sand only? Or do you guys think it's fine having it and most likely keeping soft/easier to keep corals.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and not gonna lie, I got myself a Xenia and leather toadstool and it’s been doing well for the past 3 days :eek: well I hope….
I usually suggest caution when bringing anything from a FW tank to a marine one. If you had ever dosed meds in the old tank your equipment, substrate, etc.. could gave absorbed it and will release it into your saltwater. The coral you've added might be alive for now but no guarantee they will stay that way. I'd change the substrate to something appropriate for marine tanks.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you using planted tank ferts in the aquarium the flourite was in? The root tabs and many of the bottled planted tank fertilizers have a fair amount of copper in them and flourite is designed to attract and bind fertilizer to the substrate. I would ditch it, I imagine it will degrade in saltwater and bind ions you want in the saltwater before breaking down.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't transfer anything from a FW tank to salt. Guessing you used tap water the whole time. That means that all of that copper and other things have attached to the substrate. Start fresh and use only RODI water for best outcome.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back