Clean back glass or let copepods eat it?

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I have this right. I'm new to reefs. I finished my cycle and going through Brown Diatom bloom. Diatoms on rocks and sand are being eaten by hermits and snails, but back glass has smudges of brown and some are turning into green hairy spots. I saw tons of microscopic white bugs all over back glass which I found out later are probably the beginning of copepods.

Are they feeding on the algae and should I just let it stay there? Will cleaning the back glass disrupt the natural cycle of whats going on? Thanks for any advice.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my back glass, gives the snails and pods something to eat if the rest of the tank gets to clean :) With the black painted background, its not very noticeable.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nothing bad at all, yet just my first instinct is to clean it, especially when I was seeing the green hairy spots. This pic is not very good but you can see it’s not big yet at all.

0210B77D-D489-45AA-919F-16AAF2D6A14B.jpeg

wowkingjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do if I clean the back I don't clean the front glass or the side ones just so there is something for whom ever to eat. Like my snails or any thing that likes to graze on the glass.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all panes clean; I want the snails keeping the rocks clean, not my tank :) Not gonna make a difference either way, if you want it clean, clean it. If not, dont worry about it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back