Clean chaeto

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to rid chaeto of aptasia without killing algea? Want to make sure apasia is not tranfered to new system. Not bad but do see a few sprouts in refugium. Sad thing is i think i got it from a vendor that says it clean

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a few, you should be able to manually remove the aiptasia from the chaeto, even if you have to sacrifice a small piece/section of chaeto. Pull out the algae and use a pair of scissors if you have to and cut out the aiptasia. Just make sure you get the whole thing. If you have a bunch, I would recommend cutting your losses and finding a new source. My $.02 anyway.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a few, you should be able to manually remove the aiptasia from the chaeto, even if you have to sacrifice a small piece/section of chaeto. Pull out the algae and use a pair of scissors if you have to and cut out the aiptasia. Just make sure you get the whole thing. If you have a bunch, I would recommend cutting your losses and finding a new source. My $.02 anyway.

Agree! It’s so cheap compared to the headaches of aiptasia. Quite a few folks on here sell good clean chaeto.

OP
OP
drtrash

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are assuming that the nect source is clean, no apitasia, flat worms....i know if i have it in fuge its probable in tank so i should not worry about next batch but wondering how to sterilize chaeto? I believe last vendor (only vendor) gave me apitasia and they advertise its clean

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you allowed to post where?

@mitch91175. Got a bristle worm and lots of pods and a couple dwarf ceriths.

He has a thread on here.

Search his user name and look at his threads.

One is chaeto for sale.

Were you on the Nimitz in 87?

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mitch91175. Got a bristle worm and lots of pods and a couple dwarf ceriths.

He has a thread on here.

Search his user name and look at his threads.

One is chaeto for sale.

Were you on the Nimitz in 87?

thanks for the heads up. No I was born in 87, I am a former jarhead though. :D I grew up loving the movie Midway, and Adm. Nimitz was kind of an idol of mine.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the heads up. No I was born in 87, I am a former jarhead though. :D I grew up loving the movie Midway, and Adm. Nimitz was kind of an idol of mine.

Hey @Nimitz87, hit me up if you need some chaeto. I have some now that I can ship out on Monday with some of my phyto that I am also shipping out on Monday too.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool. Midway was one of my favorites as well and part of the reason I joined the Navy. And I ended up on a carrier from 81-84. Awesome movie! And true!

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to rid chaeto of aptasia without killing algea? Want to make sure apasia is not tranfered to new system. Not bad but do see a few sprouts in refugium. Sad thing is i think i got it from a vendor that says it clean

I recently dipped my chaeto in RODI water for 30 minutes. I assume that killed any marine pests prior to starting my copepod culture with the ball of chaeto.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back