katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to be stocking my 20g long with:
-2 clownfish
-yellow watchman goby + candy cane pistol shrimp

It will be a mixed reef tank. What kind of clean up crew should I add + how much of each kind?
I've heard that cleaner shrimp, nassarius snails, bumble bee snails, and mexican turbos should be put in my tank. I've heard crabs pick at corals so should I avoid crabs?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp isnt a must as they arent really clean up crew as they only eat any left over food and most of the time they need to be feed their own meal. But I think its a good addition as it does clean fish from potential parasites and dead cells.

With nassarius and bumblebee snails, I would only add 2-3 in your size tank as they only eat meaty food so no algae. They are also good for vermetid snails.

Mexican turbos are always a good idea, good for most algae and do a pretty good job with it.

I would look into adding some trochus snails along the turbos.

Its hard to tell how much of everything you need. I usually just go based on how much algae and leftover food I see to make sure all of them have some kind of food source and dont die off.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp isnt a must as they arent really clean up crew as they only eat any left over food and most of the time they need to be feed their own meal. But I think its a good addition as it does clean fish from potential parasites and dead cells.

With nassarius and bumblebee snails, I would only add 2-3 in your size tank as they only eat meaty food so no algae. They are also good for vermetid snails.

Mexican turbos are always a good idea, good for most algae and do a pretty good job with it.

I would look into adding some trochus snails along the turbos.

Its hard to tell how much of everything you need. I usually just go based on how much algae and leftover food I see to make sure all of them have some kind of food source and dont die off.
Noted, thank you! Would you recommend any crabs or are those unsafe around corals?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted, thank you! Would you recommend any crabs or are those unsafe around corals?
Depends, some people dont like hermits at all but I always add a few just so they get any extra food that falls onto the sand.

Some other crabs like the emerald crab can be beneficial if you have bubble or hairline algae but if you dont have a steady supply of food for them, I have seen them pick at some corals once in a while

Back