Clean Up Crew for 25 Gallon

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank that seems to be going well, clowns are loving it, and cycle went well. I attached a picture below of my 25 gallon waterbox and my aquascape pre water to give an idea.

I am going to have my water tested at my LFS then start to slowly add a CUC.

I have a few ideas for a CUC - I want them to be sustainable and more preventative rather than just have a bunch to clean up then die.

Here are my ideas - please let me know if it is too many to be sustainable or too conflicting. I know I will probably add a few at a time then wait a week or so then add a few etc. Would that be the best way or is there a better order in terms of territory / aggression?

1- Nassarius snail
1- Emerald crab
2- Sexy shrimp
1- Tailspot blenny
1- Urchin (purple or tuxedo or Halloween) ( I know they are a pain but it was a main reason I wanted a tank)
1- Trochus snail
2- pom pom crabs
1- serpent star maybe???

tank.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 Fl ceriths, 7 dwarf trochus, 1 nass VIBEX. thats all you need for now. The trochus will breed.
So would my list below not be comprehensive enough ? I want some of them more for looks than function. i.e urchin, crabs etc

1- Nassarius snail
1- Emerald crab
2- Sexy shrimp
1- Tailspot blenny
1- Urchin (purple or tuxedo or Halloween) ( I know they are a pain but it was a main reason I wanted a tank)
1- Trochus snail
2- pom pom crabs
1- serpent star maybe???

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would my list below not be comprehensive enough ? I want some of them more for looks than function. i.e urchin, crabs etc

1- Nassarius snail
1- Emerald crab
2- Sexy shrimp
1- Tailspot blenny
1- Trochus snail
2- pom pom crabs
1- serpent star maybe???
urchins need a bit older tanks, you'll want tuxedo. sexies aren't CUC, their ornamental inverts (different list). Pom Poms will do some CUC work, need older tanks (anemones on claws). Tailspot is good. Serpent has risks

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
urchins need a bit older tanks, you'll want tuxedo. sexies aren't CUC, their ornamental inverts (different list). Pom Poms will do some CUC work, need older tanks (anemones on claws). Tailspot is good. Serpent has risks
very good to know i was going to wait on urchin for sure. did not know that about serpent / pom poms needing older tank, is there any other "cool" looking stars that clean up (i know brittle do but do not have as cool of a look).

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good to know i was going to wait on urchin for sure. did not know that about serpent / pom poms needing older tank, is there any other "cool" looking stars that clean up (i know brittle do but do not have as cool of a look).
micro brittles! larger serpent/brittle stars run the risk of eating smaller fish (the kind you'd have in your nano). There are many micro brittles though, passive and good cleaners. Some have those filter feeding "hairs" that you want.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I agree with your stocking list, and some other good suggestions above. I like to add CUC slowly as its needed.

But if you don't mind a bit of slightly off topic advise: get some test kits before you get life. You are going to need them, IMO no one should start this hobby without a good test kit

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I agree with your stocking list, and some other good suggestions above. I like to add CUC slowly as its needed.

But if you don't mind a bit of slightly off topic advise: get some test kits before you get life. You are going to need them, IMO no one should start this hobby without a good test kit
Thank you for the advice! I do have an ammonia and salinity. I am going to the LFS tonight to get calcium, alkalinity, PH, Phosphate. I know some are premature but I would like to have them.

I also am going to have them run a full test to see what they come up with to see where I am at.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a few trochus snails ( as mentioned above you’ll never need to replace them, they will replace themselves) and cerith snails. You can’t go wrong with a tuxedo urchin. For the sand I recommend a tiger conch and a few nassarius snails. Emerald crabs are a work horse. As you seem to be aware, add a few at a time and increase as needed. AlsoI forgot about a few dwarf red and blue legged hermits. Good luck.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a few trochus snails ( as mentioned above you’ll never need to replace them, they will replace themselves) and cerith snails. You can’t go wrong with a tuxedo urchin. For the sand I recommend a tiger conch and a few nassarius snails. Emerald crabs are a work horse. As you seem to be aware, add a few at a time and increase as needed. AlsoI forgot about a few dwarf red and blue legged hermits. Good luck.
When is a good time to start adding? Right away or do you think I should wait for the the tank to start seeming a bit more algae growth.
I am getting many contradicting answers here so maybe it is more of a slow feel thing rather than a time thing

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good question. Im not sure how long your tank has been set up but lets assume 1-3 months. If you have some algae I would start with a couple trochus , ceriths, dwarf hermits and an emerald crab to be preemptive. As the algae is out competing your cuc ad additional. Nassarius snails are not algae eaters, they eat organics and leftover food in the sandbed, constantly turning over the sandbed. Tiger conch will eat algae on the sandbed and can be supplemented with noti or algae wafers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back