Clean up Crew help needed

slaag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I need some help identifying what additional clean up crew I may need.

I have a Fluval 13.5 gallon tank.
Currently have:
5 hermit crabs
2 trochus snails
2 nassarius snails
1 pep shrimp

My tank currently looks like this:
6B2E7D71-8C43-41F7-81F2-3FE330CB364A.jpeg

Do I need to add more? The algae is growing relatively fast and I don’t want other nuisance algae taking hold. What do you recommend? (Also maybe something else for sand on top of massarius snails)

thank you!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend none of those.

reasons why: fills up your sandbed with waste, and the system is going to get algae anyway being all white new rock.

of course they won't hurt anything, that's what everyone stocks regarding initial clean up crews...they're not going to help much with the coming algae but all their waste will for sure go right into the sandbed and compile. lots of pellets, a heavy amount each week.

one good factor though: not much matters in a nano reef because you can just rip clean it any time you want and instantly fix any invasion, any algae challenge the same day vs an extended trial.

you can stock those and any other CUC's you like, since removing their collective waste and tank aging consequences isn't all that hard in a nano reef.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lowering your light level 50% and running only blues would help with algae far more than any cuc combo in that tank for sure. that and manual cleaning, lift the rocks out and scrape off algae externally to guide it/don't assume everything has to be done via the water.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of crab free systems. My typical crew are Gold Ring Cowries (also called Money Cowries), Banded Trochus snails, a Fighting/Strawberry Conch, Mini/Micro Brittle Stars, Limpets, Stomatella, and the occasional Urchin. Given your tank size, you're right where you need to be but adding the Gold Ring Cowrie and Mini/Micro Brittle Stars would compliment nicely when you have more algae types to address. Good luck!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me cut the lighting down and get turbo snails . My tank went through the ugly stage . When I got green algae the turbo snails nailed the algae from the rock

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back