Clean up crew opinions

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by fishynewby, Nov 9, 2017.

1. fishynewby

fishynewby Active Member

What is your favorite picks when it comes to clean up crews?

Tags:

2. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Member

Nasaurius snails for me because they clean un eaten food and they hide in the sand so it keeps the tank looking spotless

DeepBlueSomething likes this.
  3. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Depends on tank inhabitants and feeding habits and algae levels. I got mine from www.reefcleaners.org and have been pleased.

From what you listed I think a few hermits and mix of snails would be a good cuc once tank is coming together.

4. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Trochus snails: reproduces easily in a tank, can flip themselves over, aren't big enough to bulldoze, and you can get nice captive bred ones that won't have hitchhiking nuisance algae all over their shells (@AlgaeBarn sells ORA ones, all of them are still alive from my order after a month!)

Mexican turbo: You really only need a few of these. In my RSR 170, I only have one right now. They basically eat everything. They are huge though, but are incredible. Be sure to glue down every frag and rock.

Nassarius snails: these guys scavange really well, but if your flow is good enough to keep food off the sand, they could easily starve. Mine seem to wait until I feed and then they come out, but unfortunately all the food is eaten or swept up with all the flow. I have to spot feed each one (I only have 4) with some mysis lol. They won't really scavenge otherwise, unless something big is dead/dying.

Anything with claws: NOPE! Scarlet hermits maybe... but not sure if I'd call them great CUC inhabitants. Just really cool to look at, and hopefully won't tear at coral tissue.

NowGlazeIT and fishynewby like this.
  5. fishynewby

fishynewby Active Member

Great advice thanks everyone, I was actually thinking about getting a mix of Trochus, nassarius, and turbos. I was considering adding a couple hermits or maybe even an emerald into the mix once things get set up.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  6. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

7. Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Reef Cleaners. I still have 3 Trochus, some hermts and some dwarf cerith's from John that I got 2 years ago! Always clean and he always sends more than u order, especially the Dwarfs.

Diesel likes this.
  8. Reef man 89

Reef man 89 Well-Known Member

Holy smokes that sounds like a lot!! How big is your tank?

9. Mikedawg

Mikedawg Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

urchins are great for algae control and have interesting habit of adorning themselves with your frags, snails, etc., lol.

Diesel likes this.
  10. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

200 gallon.
    Not a lot at all, they all disappear in the sand when lights are on and clean your tank when you sleep.
    They keep your sand nice and clean and stir it all up for you.
    Believe me I have it for years and it works.
    the Ceriths are so small that 600 of them just fill up 1 measure cup.

Reef man 89 likes this.
  11. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Absolutely do not get a emerald crab unless you'll have coral tissue to spare. Not at all worth getting corals torn into. Scarlet hermits are already a risk... let alone emeralds!

Oldsalt01, Reef man 89 and NowGlazeIT like this.
  12. 3mm3

3mm3 Well-Known Member

How big is your tank?

13. fishynewby

fishynewby Active Member

It will be 32Gallons

14. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Member

Yea I like crabs like the emerald and blue legs or scarlets but all have killed other crabs and have eaten either my zoas or picked at my pink tip anemones I’m trying a new set up with just nassarius snails Ceriths a few turbos and a skunk cleaner shrimp for a 60g

15. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Member

8 nassaurius 12 ceriths 1 turbo and 10 hermit crabs or 5-6 hermits and one emerald or no crabs just 12 more trochus snails

16. dutch27

dutch27 Member Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

I find most clean-up crew members end up dozing over corals and just making me angry for little benefit. I keep a couple emeralds around for my bubble algae, and they don't touch my corals. Hermits die without new shells to move into, and will eat your snails to get themselves new shells. I've had my ATO get stuck on because of snails hanging out in the switch. My clean up crew is my WC siphon and a mag float.

Draft saved Draft deleted