Clean up crew recommendations

Tofty189

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi peeps

Just digging for recommendations, I'm new to reef aquariums so need all the good advice I can get. My next requisitions is probably going to be my clean up crew and was wondering what other people's thoughts are, I currently have 2 x pecular clowns, pistol shrimp and watchman goby who are currently digging all the tank up, and a skunk cleaner shrimp in my 250l red sea max c250 what types of clean up crew would you reccomend considering I have a pistol shrimp

Thank you all
16203286602576080219276670348084.jpg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would advise against is an emerald crab. My pistol chases him around the tank and my first mysteriously disappeared a year ago or so. I think in general they are pretty reef safe.

OP
OP
T

Tofty189

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would advise against is an emerald crab. My pistol chases him around the tank and my first mysteriously disappeared a year ago or so. I think in general they are pretty reef safe.
Thanks pal ill be sure to stay away

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of websites that suggest a cleanup crew package based off tank size (reefcleaners.org is one). Even if you cant buy from them may be helpful to look.

Having said that personally I dont like buying big packages of a CUC all at once, but rather prefer to add as needed. For example your tank looks very clean and if you buy a big CUC you will need to either feed it directly or some are likely to die.

I start with nassarius snails (to cleanup uneaten fish food/waste). As I am getting algae or bacteria films I add a turbo snail (my favorite CUC by far... but they can be a bit of a bulldozer to unsecured corals) and a few astrea, few cerith, a few dwarf cerith, and a few nerite. Astrea are a pain as they cant turn themselves over, but I still like them....

Then I just add more of the same varieties as needed if they are not able to handle the needs of the tank.

Some people really like hermit crabs in their CUC. I personally dont because I find they bother my LPS (try to steal food from the mouths of acans/duncans/etc).

Emerald crabs are great at bubble algae and one of the few good natural solutions to that. They are not always entirely reef safe though some seem to like soft corals when hungry.

OP
OP
T

Tofty189

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of websites that suggest a cleanup crew package based off tank size (reefcleaners.org is one). Even if you cant buy from them may be helpful to look.

Having said that personally I dont like buying big packages of a CUC all at once, but rather prefer to add as needed. For example your tank looks very clean and if you buy a big CUC you will need to either feed it directly or some are likely to die.

I start with nassarius snails (to cleanup uneaten fish food/waste). As I am getting algae or bacteria films I add a turbo snail (my favorite CUC by far... but they can be a bit of a bulldozer to unsecured corals) and a few astrea, few cerith, a few dwarf cerith, and a few nerite. Astrea are a pain as they cant turn themselves over, but I still like them....

Then I just add more of the same varieties as needed if they are not able to handle the needs of the tank.

Some people really like hermit crabs in their CUC. I personally dont because I find they bother my LPS (try to steal food from the mouths of acans/duncans/etc).

Emerald crabs are great at bubble algae and one of the few good natural solutions to that. They are not always entirely reef safe though some seem to like soft corals when hungry.
Wow thanks for that I wasn't aware there were so many different types and varieties the tank is still clean not much algae yet I am going to wait a while and start small 1 or 2 at first and see how it goes, I'll be sure to check out the website

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second avoiding hermit crabs. I have scarlett reefs and they do seem less aggressive than blue legs but im sure they are opportunistic if given the chance. Mine never seem to bother corals though. Blue legs never really gave me issues with corals but i think they like snails. Emerald crabs ive seen going after mushroom corals but only because i target fed it i guess. It was probably more interested in the food than coral.

I really like fighting conch. Keeps the sandbed much cleaner than nassarius for me. I used to keep adding nassarius but after i tried fighting conch, the sandbed is always clean.

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have some small limpets. Idk how they do with cleaning but they reproduce very quick.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back