Clean up crew

Spacedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for such a basic question but do you need to quarantine the clean up crew or can you just add them to the display tank. No fish in the tank.Thanks
Spacedoc

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is up to you. Many people do not quarantine inverts, but there is a possibility that snails and such could be bringing in fish parasites (ich, velvet, etc) that are encysted on the shells/exoskeleltons. This is the biggest reason to QT inverts, to eliminate this possibility.

If you are willing to accept the risk, add your cleanup crew directly to the display tank. If you are going to be QTing fish to make sure the tank stays disease free, then it might be wise to also QT your inverts.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But don’t put the water in your tank. Depends where you buy them from, like reef cleaners, says not to drip acclimate them either.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is up to you. Many people do not quarantine inverts, but there is a possibility that snails and such could be bringing in fish parasites (ich, velvet, etc) that are encysted on the shells/exoskeleltons. This is the biggest reason to QT inverts, to eliminate this possibility.

If you are willing to accept the risk, add your cleanup crew directly to the display tank. If you are going to be QTing fish to make sure the tank stays disease free, then it might be wise to also QT your inverts.
+1 - if you want to be extra safe and have the time then QT them...most (myself included) do not but understand the risk.

OP
OP
S

Spacedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. But don’t put the water in your tank. Depends where you buy them from, like reef cleaners, says not to drip acclimate them either.
+1 - if you want to be extra safe and have the time then QT them...most (myself included) do not but understand the risk.
Thanks for the advice. I will play it safe and quarantine.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in 5 snails, no QT but were in a separate tank with Corals only. Reasonably hardy they are. But only trusted from the LFS I buy from

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through this as we speak. My tank is having an algae outbreak and I ordered additional snails from Reef Cleaners. I emailed with John and even he said the risk is minimal but he still recommended that anything be quarantined.
As it stands I took his advice and the entire crew is in the coral frag quarantine tank while I turkey baste the display tank.

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same - I don’t QT them, but careful not let the water transfer. Mine also from Reefcleaners - I believe Reefcleaners don’t even keep fish, but that might be mistaken. That would also greatly reduce the small possibility that a snail or hermit shell was carrying one. This isn’t the absolute safest possible option, but close enough for me.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a few packages from reefcleaners. I temp acclimate and drop them in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back