Clean up crew

crocko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good clean up crew for a 29 gallon with fish and rock. Will be wanting corals in the future once my tank is more established. I currently have a cleaner shrimp, yellow watchman goby, azure damsel, and two clowns. What CUC would you get? Thanks for the help!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really depends what you are trying to "clean up" and if you have enough of it to keep your cuc from starving. All snails, crabs, etc. are not equal - they have different food preferences and appetites. Are you concerned about a specific problem? If not, you don't need a cuc yet.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depend, but really doesn't matter. Read about each critter and what you want them to clean.
I always have a mix of critters

I like Mexican turbo snails, they are bigger and cool. Tongan Nassarious also pretty cool. Also conch.

Urchins are cool. Lots,of different hermit.

Also a skunk shrimp to clean fish

All time favorite and absolute best for hair algae, seahare....for experts only.

Go to Liveaquaria and look at combo packs. New tanks you can half the recommended and add over time

OP
OP
crocko

crocko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really depends what you are trying to "clean up" and if you have enough of it to keep your cuc from starving. All snails, crabs, etc. are not equal - they have different food preferences and appetites. Are you concerned about a specific problem? If not, you don't need a cuc yet.
No not in particular but my tank is starting the ugly stage with some diatoms. Won’t be getting a CUC immediately, my tank isn’t ready, but wanted to know what are good ideas so I could be prepared.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not in particular but my tank is starting the ugly stage with some diatoms. Won’t be getting a CUC immediately, my tank isn’t ready, but wanted to know what are good ideas so I could be prepared.
Smart to wait and identify what you need and what your tank will sustain. As PR mentioned, reefcleaners site has a detailed questionnaire from which they will make recommendations for cuc members. This is a good tool to use vs. simply buying what looks interesting.
Good luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back