Cleaned my Vectra L2 and now it’s not working!

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I cleaned my pump and now it’s not working. Light stays green, so doesn’t look like a stall.

I turn the pump on and get a hum that seems to increase with intensity over the first 15 seconds or so. I took it apart a second time hoping to see something out of order, but everything looked good, impeller is spinning fine… after putting it together the second time I fired it up and flow started but I had one of the unions for the return loose so had to turn it off quickly, turned it back on and was back to the flow.

Any thoughts?

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nearly new M2 act very similar to this. I don't recall what the light did though - but it pushed very little water. The pump was replaced under waranty after taking pictures and going through the customer service routes. If memory serves, the light started to falsh after a few moments of "trying".

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I cleaned my pump and now it’s not working. Light stays green, so doesn’t look like a stall.

I turn the pump on and get a hum that seems to increase with intensity over the first 15 seconds or so. I took it apart a second time hoping to see something out of order, but everything looked good, impeller is spinning fine… after putting it together the second time I fired it up and flow started but I had one of the unions for the return loose so had to turn it off quickly, turned it back on and was back to the flow.

Any thoughts?
The first time I took mine apart for cleaning and put back together I also had a louder than normal hum. I probably tighten the socket head cap screws to much because all I did was loosen the cap screws and just lightly snugged them down and the hum went away. I have cleaned the L2 many times since then with no issues. Just remember to just snug them down in an alternating pattern.

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I took mine apart for cleaning and put back together I also had a louder than normal hum. I probably tighten the socket head cap screws to much because all I did was loosen the cap screws and just lightly snugged them down and the hum went away. I have cleaned the L2 many times since then with no issues. Just remember to just snug them down in an alternating pattern.
Did you have any flow? I’m not getting any flow and it doesn’t seem like my impeller is turning. I’ll pull it apart again and tighten in alternating patter and won’t tighten too much. Thanks

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any flow? I’m not getting any flow and it doesn’t seem like my impeller is turning. I’ll pull it apart again and tighten in alternating patter and won’t tighten too much. Thanks
I had some reduced flow if I remember correctly. My hum was not unbearable but it was louder than it was prior to taking it apart. What I mean by snug is once you feel the first screw grab go to the opposite side and put in screw #2 and so on. Then just give the screws a nudge in an alternating pattern. You may think they are not tight enough but they are. The O-ring will prevent any leaking out of the housing. If that doesn't work let me know and I will give you another thing to look at.

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some reduced flow if I remember correctly. My hum was not unbearable but it was louder than it was prior to taking it apart. What I mean by snug is once you feel the first screw grab go to the opposite side and put in screw #2 and so on. Then just give the screws a nudge in an alternating pattern. You may think they are not tight enough but they are. The O-ring will prevent any leaking out of the housing.
Thanks. I did take it apart again, made sure the impeller was moving correctly, tightened in a diagonal pattern and didn’t overtighten. I mad sue the impeller moved at every step - seems that the pump can sense when it’s being run dry??

Put it in the tank and all is well. Appreciate the support!

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I did take it apart again, made sure the impeller was moving correctly, tightened in a diagonal pattern and didn’t overtighten. I mad sue the impeller moved at every step - seems that the pump can sense when it’s being run dry??

Put it in the tank and all is well. Appreciate the support!
Yep! That is a safety factor built into the pump. One other word of advice. When you pull out the impeller assembly the bearing may also come out. If it does make sure that you put it back in in the same orientation that it came out. That is a one-way-bearing and if put in backwards the pump will stall.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Any thoughts?
Assure the impeller is properly seated within the well. The hum suggests the pump works but impeller not responding

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! That is a safety factor built into the pump. One other word of advice. When you pull out the impeller assembly the bearing may also come out. If it does make sure that you put it back in in the same orientation that it came out. That is a one-way-bearing and if put in backwards the pump will stall.
Thanks - based on my experience cleaning it for the first time I may never pull it apart again :eek: I’ll make sure I watch for the bearing next time I clean It.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, appreciate the response. I did pull it apart several times and finally got it aligned properly. It’s working great once again.
Alignment very important

Back