Cleaner new tank maturing method

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this is already discussed on a different thread.
I hoped to share a successful 'recipe' to mature a new tank without having to go through the ugly diatoms stages. Nothing rocket science, it just works for me. I have set up lots of marine/reef tanks over the years, but this one is clean from start to finish. Previous attempts based around stacking with live rock and dosing with bacterial cultures always went ugly for me for a month or so.

It is to simply begin with your refugium stacked up with macroalgae and strong suitable red/blue lighting, from the start.
I personally dont have a sump so use a roomy weir - a 1ft section of my tank, divided off for this purpose.
The macro I use is Ulva Sea Lettuce (from Algae Barn) which truly is a nutrient sponge and grows much faster for me than chaeto.
I also have found over the years that where there are insufficient nutrients, chaeto melts away whilst Ulva just sits and waits.
If there are insufficient nutrients, my Sea Lettuce just bides its time until they are available, then grabs them and soaks them up.
It seems a common mistake is to load up with a really small portion of ones chosen macroalgae, with weak lighting and expect it to handle this task.
I also dose weekly with the macroalgae nutrients from Brightwell and Continuum (alternated as they are slighly different).

Later on when adding corals, I reduce timing of lighting slightly, to ensure there are enough nutrients for the corals to flourish.

PS: Unless I have missed it, it would be great to have a main section of this website set aside to discuss refugiums.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this approach and recommendation. Im in the process of starting a new system and will absolutely be trying this along with my 9 month old "dry" rock.
Sea lettuce here I come!

OP
OP
Y

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Points to watch out for:

Get lots of your macroalgae.

Proper lights make a lot of difference.

If you use Sea Lettuce please note: As this grows in sheets make sure your return pump inlet (if using a sump) has a large inlet cage that wont get blocked up too easily, or maybe a large sponge block over it that cannot get blocked.

If budget allows, another level of prevention is one I use, and that is to get a Rollermat Compact. Fantastic equipment. My main tank water goes through this then into the macroalgae, to avoid the algae section mulming up.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Points to watch out for:

Get lots of your macroalgae.

Proper lights make a lot of difference.

If you use Sea Lettuce please note: As this grows in sheets make sure your return pump inlet (if using a sump) has a large inlet cage that wont get blocked up too easily, or maybe a large sponge block over it that cannot get blocked.

If budget allows, another level of prevention is one I use, and that is to get a Rollermat Compact. Fantastic equipment. My main tank water goes through this then into the macroalgae, to avoid the algae section mulming up.
Sounds great. My fuge section has a weir to trap any macro from getting into the return chamber.
Ill be using a fijicube 24 sump so no space for a rollermat but its got sock holders and a media tray for floss.
Rollermat would be super nice though.
And my fuge is after the skimmer chamber so this should help a bit too with gunk.
I have a nice fuge light ready to go and ill have mud in the fuge as well.

OP
OP
Y

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually lighting my macroalgae with 2 of these, one from above, other attached to the side. Growing very well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back