Cleaner shrimp “cleaning hands”

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently got a cleaner shrimp and now whenever i have my hand in the tank (which is not very often). The shrimp follows it and when I let it the shrimp cleans and picks under my fingernails and crawls up my arm. Does anybody know what its actually eating or doing. I am aware they eat parasites on fish but what is this?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have recently got a cleaner shrimp and now whenever i have my hand in the tank (which is not very often). The shrimp follows it and when I let it the shrimp cleans and picks under my fingernails and crawls up my arm. Does anybody know what its actually eating or doing. I am aware they eat parasites on fish but what is this?
Cleaning dead skin, like they would scales on a fish I believe. Just looking for things to pick off even if they don't find it. Mine does this all of the time.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Cleaning dead skin, like they would scales on a fish I believe. Just looking for things to pick off even if they don't find it. Mine does this all of the time.
It's one of the fun things to do with your tank IMO! Tried to get my wife to do it, free manicure but she wouldn't. Save me $75 ....

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one of the fun things to do with your tank IMO! Tried to get my wife to do it, free manicure but she wouldn't. Save me $75 ....
Haha, its very fun to do, i just got my brother to do it and i am going to see if my sister wants to.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back