Cleaner Shrimp coexist with Niger Trigger and Dwarf Lions?

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I was wondering what my odds were of this working.

Currently I have what I like to call a predator “community” tank. Currently, the predators I have are an antennata lionfish, fuzzy dwarf lionfish, and a newly added Niger trigger. I was wondering how a cleaner shrimp may fare should I add one in?

I’m aware that shrimp are the trigger’s natural food source, so I can see that being a problem. Same with lionfish. However, I’ve seen both cleaned by cleaner shrimp before and seemingly coexisting. I used to have a juvenile volitan who enjoyed being cleaner by a shrimp.

I like predator fish but I also like inverts too. It’d be nice if I could have the best of both worlds. If not, I could always make my betta cube into a pico for inverts. However, I’d still like to hear everyone’s opinion on the matter.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be just fine. "Cleaner" is kind of a general term. There are many shrimp and fish that perform the "cleaner" roll at some point

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw my fuzzy take another shot at my pomp pomp crab last night but he hangs on tight, I have a blood shrimp but he’s big he doesn’t bother him at all

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Cleaner is most likely to become a snack.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" in some cases the coloration of the shrimp may give it a free ride . But for long in your case with a hungry or Trigger!

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... at this point I’ve essentially decided against putting a cleaner shrimp in the display. It’ll likely be a refugium pet or something like that (how nice would a refugium with macroalgae along with a pair of aiptasia eating filefish and a cleaner shrimp be?)

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread....

Call me crazy, but I decided to give it a shot! I added the cleaner shrimp last night after white lights went off and Niger trigger was asleep. Shrimp went in and immediately was cleaning my sail-fin and purple tangs!

Niger trigger has definitely approached the shrimp multiple times, however, I think the key was to introduce it with the trigger while the trigger was sleepy at night, and the fact that it’s a big system (180 gallon display). Woke up next morning and as of today niger has not bothered the cleaner shrimp, and in fact has been seen being cleaned by said shrimp!

As for my fuzzy dwarf lionfish (rehomed my antennata to the LFS), no idea how I lucked out on that one. My fuzzy is responsible for eating a 1” bristletooth tang, so he’s definitely capable of eating a cleaner. Normally when live shrimp (ghost shrimp) hit the water he immediately smells it and goes for the kill. However when introducing the cleaner he started prowling and once he saw the cleaner he simply gave up! Then again, he only ate that tang around 3-5 days ago, so he may not be hungry yet.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -

Niger happily devoured 6 ghost shrimp that I fed to the tank as a treat. The Niger is definitely aware of the existence of the cleaner though, however, the happily swims next to the cleaner.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back